Is there a stable alternative to IP.Downloads ?

Chris Lawes

Is there a currently stable alternative to IP.Downloads and Downloads II ?

Or even something that doesn't integrate with XenForo forum but can atleast display and sort a database of files for users to browse and download (as something to use until a XenDownloads-thing is ready?)

That's what I thought.
Well, do you mind if I ask here for a recommendation on a file hosting script/software that can be standalone? Basically all I want is something that allows me to upload 300 audio/video files, label/tag them and have a nice public interface to browse them by category, type, genre, etc. and download. This wouldn't have to be integrated with XenForo, or allow user uploads even. Just to display a media library for viewing/sorting and download. If I could put that on my main site I could do without IP.Downloads, which may not even be ideal for my needs anyway.

Thanks for that Blue, I'm looking around there. Pretty confusing collection of discontinued, overly simple or overly complex, scripts. However I think something there would work, just trying to find one that isn't super overbloated $400+ but is still properly maintained and customizable..

Yes I can see that, but even in the public forums I can't look at any of the screenshots of plugins/add-ons/skins/themes etc because they are images. Couldn't you make the threads in the public section allow fullsize image popups for registered non-licensed users? Quite frustrating looking at different skins and addons and not being able to see screenshots.

Anyway sorry that's completely off-topic I'll just shut up now. :censored:

...Since I can't reply there do you know if XenMedio allows for sorting media results by column (type, date added, etc.)?

(Also awesome Bill the Cat avatar Blue)

Yes I can see that, but even in the public forums I can't look at any of the screenshots of plugins/add-ons/skins/themes etc because they are images. Couldn't you make the threads in the public section allow fullsize image popups for registered non-licensed users? Quite frustrating looking at different skins and addons and not being able to see screenshots.

Anyway sorry that's completely off-topic I'll just shut up now. :censored:
When the new resource manager arrives the problem probably wont exist ^^

Rent a cheap shared hosting account somewhere and let people browse the directory?

I know someone who did that, but does not let user browse those files, and they posted links to those files on their forum.

Rent a cheap shared hosting account somewhere and let people browse the directory?

I know someone who did that, but does not let user browse those files, and they posted links to those files on their forum.

Sadly people can just leech the links. It's nice having it inbuilt into the core software so people have to sign up to access, I know you could restrict access to the forum but then you lose potential Internet traffic.

Sadly people can just leech the links. It's nice having it inbuilt into the core software so people have to sign up to access, I know you could restrict access to the forum but then you lose potential Internet traffic.
Well, yes I agree 100%. On the other hand the person does seem to want a simple solution, and he may not have thought of the idea.

:)

Media Store looks fairly useful, allthough also a bit overkill/too flashy for what I want ideally want.
How would you let people browse the directory? I want it to be publicly viewable outside the forum even. Just looking at the auto-generated apache folders where you can click on the files isn't enough obviously..
Here is something simple I've been developing just based on tables and a wp plugin interface:
http://realitythebeautiful.com/audio-database-test/
Ugly, but has sortable columns and you can filter results by location, speaker, filetype, etc.

Something like this but nicer and more scalable would be good. IP.Downloads can do the job but I'd rather get xenforo for my forum and just develop a good viewable database on another subpage. Forum-uploadable downloads would be good but can wait until XenDownloads or whatever is ready..

Top Bottom