1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is setting up RAID 1 important?

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by NeoCHI, Aug 13, 2014.

1. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

So I just purchased a new dedi-2 dedicated server at knownhost: https://www.knownhost.com/managed-dedicated-servers.html

and asked them to implement RAID 1 on my hdd in which they replied:

Should I have them escalate? is having RAID 1 setup important?
  2. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Personally I would leave it as it is; especially since having a RAID would mean the loss of an internal backup drive.

You might not think that's so important with a RAID (because the array will give you some protection against disk failure), but having a RAID doesn't protect you from overwrites or accidental deletion of data - whereas a backup drive with several days/weeks/months of backups allows you to possibly go back and recover the overwritten/deleted data.

If you're definite about having a RAID on your server (don't forget, the RAID controller introduces an additional hardware failure point!!!) - then you need to ask your host about pricing for network / USB backup.
    AndyB likes this.
  3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

That's the reason you want off-site (server) backups.
    Only if you use hardware RAID. Usually RAID 1 is done via the BIOS RAID (which is essentially the equivalent of a software RAID). If I was going to do RAID 1, I'd use Linux's software RAID instead. To often if you use the onboard BIOS RAID and then have a MB failure, you have to replace with a like board.

Even with hardware RAID 10, you should be doing off-site backups.
  4. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

I'm planning on using WHM's built in backup system and sFTPing it to backupsys, so I don't need the extra drive as internal backup drive.
  5. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

So yeah...should I get them to escalate and implement RAID 1?
  6. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Your call, if you have external reliable backups in place then why not, just remember to look at the downsides.
  7. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

What are the downsides?
  8. Slavik

Another point of failure.

If its software raid and not hardware, it can also drag your server performance down a lot.
  9. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

hmmm, what percent of people with a serious forum do you think use RAID 1?

If I have daily offsite backups I shouldn't really need RAID.
  10. Slavik

I think most people with serious (aka earn a living) forums run hardware based raid 10 with sas or ssd drives :) Those who have mega money move to raid 5 or 6.
  11. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

12. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

offsite backup = protection
    RAID = speed + minimizing downtime
  13. Shyuan

Shyuan Well-Known Member

If I'm in your position, I would get off site backup (like backupsy), then I would do HW RAID1. I normally prefer RAID10.
  14. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

Your thinking RAID 0 right? cause from I know RAID 1 slows things down like slavik said

What's required to do a hardware RAID 1 instead of software RAID 1. From my understanding HW seems to be more suitable for running forums.
  15. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

If I have the choice between hardware or software RAID which should I choose?
  16. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Not with linux software RAID 1 - it can hit near RAID 0 performance on reads (except 100% sequential reads).
    Xon and Tracy Perry like this.
  17. Slavik

Maybe im out of touch but the last time I used mdadm and a re-sync was needed it crumbled the server it was on and took like 3 days to resync 100Gb. I was less than impressed, though will admit I did not look too much into what could have been done to fix it.
  18. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

You're definitely out of touch. Software RAID is darn quick, and has almost no CPU hit with any modern processor.

Yes...have them escalate. You don't need a backup drive. That's silly, especially when you're using off-site backups. You'll get the extra performance from the RAID, as well as an added layer of protection should one of the drives fail.
    imthebest, Tracy Perry and MattW like this.
  19. jwright

jwright Active Member

I'll second this. In our testing it's only a 10% performance drop or so from the theoretical maximum of the drives which isn't to shabby. The biggest place hardware controllers shine is on random writes that can take advantage of the controller's cache.
  20. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Write speeds may slow slightly (basically unnoticeable), but read speeds will potentially increase if you are able to use simultaneous reads.