Is Less actually More?

Dixie McCall

I've owned three successful forums over the last 15 years and I've found over time that despite my penchant for wanting to add every add-on I could find or "turn on" every stock functionality, they didn't help in the overall growth very much. I'm talking about front end functionality not back end helpful admin stuff. Also, in terms of visual aesthetics, I've also found that less is more and I struggle with this too. I have another new forum now that I have to keep reminding myself to keep it simple, or less is more. Perhaps it has to do with target audiences? Gamers like big gaming stuff vs golfers prefer a simple site? IDK?

I've noticed that the most successful forums on the "big list" keep it rather simple.

What say you? :)

What say you?

I agree and there was a great example of that mantra (less is more) this week with the announcement of the death of Charlie Watts, drummer with The Rolling Stones. His drum kit was as minimal as it gets and yet he is recognized as one of the greatest drummers in modern history.

More on topic, forum users, particularly the modern forum user has better things to do than fight their through registration hoops and bloated interfaces in order to post what's on their mind. We need a one click registration and ease of use on all physical formats to encourage new users to join and post.

So yes, less is definitely more in so many ways.

No, less is not more. Its less.

If the question is "should I add more arbitrarily?" then this is a loaded question and the answer is obvious. But if the question is "should I add to make the experience better based on my community's individual needs? and that going without could be worse?" then thats also clearly a loaded question. It really is that simple.

Humm, let's say I'm looking for information and experience on how to fix my 69 Ford Falcon... Now would I rather go to Facebook and worm my way through endless crap posting and commercial nonsense or would I rather go directly to an auto forum or Ford Falcon forum, simple sign up, look for it and get the info I need and without a bloated, messy, cluttered front end with often immature, needless, pointless, accessories? I simply do not want to interact in any way other than getting the damn information I need and be on my way. At least that is my take on things.....There is absolutely nothing from any social media site that would make forums better, nothing. IMHO.

The writing community I was looking at bringing to Xenforo is instead is now live on a fairly barebones custom system. And I kind of like it. It is missing some features that I like in a forum (and they are hearing about it) but the simple design has me actually fiddling with Xenforo (in a dev environment of course) to see how minimal I can make it. That said and somewhat ironically, add-ons and a good style framework (I am trying out UI.X 2 for this, but a style based on Pixelexit's Xenbase would work too) are probably required to do what I want. So adding more to get less.:unsure:

The writing community I was looking at bringing to Xenforo is instead is now live on a fairly barebones custom system. And I kind of like it. It is missing some features that I like in a forum (and they are hearing about it) but the simple design has me actually fiddling with Xenforo (in a dev environment of course) to see how minimal I can make it. That said and somewhat ironically, add-ons and a good style framework (I am trying out UI.X 2 for this, but a style based on Pixelexit's Xenbase would work too) are probably required to do what I want. So adding more to get less.:unsure:
I"m using PixetExit and have a minimalist forum. I won't use another skin dev as this one is fantastic for giving a lot but feeling minimal.

Humm, let's say I'm looking for information and experience on how to fix my 69 Ford Falcon... Now would I rather go to Facebook and worm my way through endless crap posting and commercial nonsense or would I rather go directly to an auto forum or Ford Falcon forum, simple sign up, look for it and get the info I need and without a bloated, messy, cluttered front end with often immature, needless, pointless, accessories? I simply do not want to interact in any way other than getting the damn information I need and be on my way. At least that is my take on things.....There is absolutely nothing from any social media site that would make forums better, nothing. IMHO.
I don't think anyone is arguing you here.

I keep the add-ons to a minimum. The main reason is when it comes to upgrade the forum software they can cause a headache and they can also potentially introduce security issues.

It's a shame, because add-ons can be really useful, so I weigh it up on a case by case basis.

Top Bottom