Is it work buying Xenforo if you run a non-profitable forum?

I run a decent sized forum okay, and it's on a pretty shoddy software. I have enough money to buy the xenforo license for 140$ but it feels like to have a quality xenforo forum you're buying modifications over and over and styles over and over and gallery and license removal and all of these other separate things, and then you go from 140$ to hundreds if not 1000+$ which to some people is very little but running a community that makes 0$ in profit isn't really trying to spend that kind of money you know?

I'm curious what you guys think. Is a 20-40$ style and a 140$ license really all you need, or do you need to fully commit financially with modifications and such and run your wallet dry?

To be gentle but you are really missing the basic knowledge.
It might be a better idea to do some research on this in forums who are dedicated to this.

Here is a support forum for xenforo and not the right place to learn the basic.

First off I recommend trying the demo and playing with it and becoming familiar with it. I think the software is worth the money myself. I don't really care if I don't profit from my forum. I do it for fun and to hang out with people and have a good time. It's a great learning experience. If you want to get serious and have a stable and fast host for Xenforo I highly recommend @MattW . You can check out his site here. You can also see what others think of his hosting here. Don't waste your time with those cheap hosting sites, you will bounce from one to another. Just go with quality hosting from the start.

I feel like i'm being subtly told to get lost. I just want to learn, i'm not offending anyone, don't see why you care if my questions are too 'basic'... sigh..
Because, this is not a "how do I set up a website" support site.. this is a site that is for the support of the XenForo script. Your generic questions are better asked at sites that are targeted towards that type of support.

How c can i link my godaddy domain with another host for example?

You simply change your GoDaddy nameservers to point towards your new host (who should give you their info).

Shared hosting is cheap an reliable for a small site if you find a good host. VPS hosting starts to get expensive but gives you more modular control. It may be necessary when a site gets large. Dedicated hosting can be very expensive but gives you near complete control. It is probably unnecessary unless you are running a for-profit, imo.

Who you pick to host is a personal decision, and you'll have to do your own research. You can start by putting the items in bold into Google.

1. Play and make tests for a while with the demo
2. if there are questions, find. Xenforo / Google / Youtube [etc...]
3. if you can not find the answers, ask. (forums, your hosting provider, friends, etc)
3. after some time, if you're sure, (You will) purchase the licence.
4. enjoy.

Top Bottom