XF 2.2 Is it possible to make a website like this one with XF + some other software?

Erin Nicole

Is it possible to make a website similar to https://www.aquariumcoop.com/ in XF?

That website uses Shopify which is expensive and IPB for their forum. I did purchase IPB BUT they frustratingly removed access to editing the CSS files. So, now I'm pissed off and in search of another software.

My husband and I started up a aquaculture business where we breed fish & shrimp (for now, will expand later) and he wants to be able to sell them online. He has this notion that if the website doesn't have a forum, people aren't going to take it as seriously. He says that he wouldn't purchase from a random seller online if they didn't have a forum. So, he wants to do a small forum + shop online.

All he wants on the forum is a list of posts, with a create new post button and a search area. Something like after you click on a category in XF and replace the "Topic title" with a search bar and to the right of it place a "add new post" button. He doesn't really care about the categories... he just wants to see the posts.

I am a junior dev with most of my experience being in JS and some being in HTML/CSS. So, I can hack together something. I'm just not sure what to use.

Is this possible to make with XF + some other software?

xf doesn't really have a store persay, but there are some commerce addons. I probably wouldn't go the xf route if the store is my primary goal.

Also, your husband's comment about not having a forum = not a good store is a bit funny to me. I don't think anyone else thinks that. Leave a place for product feedback ala reviews, and you're good.

xf doesn't really have a store persay, but there are some commerce addons. I probably wouldn't go the xf route if the store is my primary goal.

Also, your husband's comment about not having a forum = not a good store is a bit funny to me. I don't think anyone else thinks that. Leave a place for product feedback ala reviews, and you're good.
I agree. It is odd. I don't understand it.

Have a store, have a place to leave reviews and even link to a Google Reviews page for the site... no need for a forum.

I'm sure that WordPress has some decent store add-ons for it... and if he is simply insistent on having a Forum, there are at least 2 decent add-ons for WordPress that provide forum capability. Now, do they compare to the power of XF? Nope, but they would be MORE than adequate for what was probably wanted by him. I WOULD suggest getting a slightly bigger hosting site than base line since most of the WP forums I have seen seem to slow down when under any decent load.

Use the right tool for the job.. don't try to shoehorn something else and make it work. The path of least resistance is usually the better overall path unless you have the patience of Job.

Top Bottom