Is it possible to break forums by adding too many addons?

cdub

I'm seeing alot of cool addons and I want to try them out....

Can I break my forums by adding too many? And if I did.... if I remove them with the admin tool will everything go back to normal?

Depends on the add-on. If it's not properly coded it can cause problems. I think there was one or two add-ons here that accidentally deleted entire tables.

You should create a test site to try any of the add-ons out, before they go to your live site. ALWAYS remember to backup your site before installing any add-on.

But theoretically all the top rated addons should be safe... (i'm not touching unrated or new addons)

Theoretically. There's always a WHAT IF moment. Everyone is human and can make mistakes. Backups should be made regardless.

People buy new cars from companies that have existed for decades and some of those cars still require recalls even after years of expertise and dependability.

Not trying to scare you, but you should just back-up your site before any major add-on installs. OR just test it out on a test site lol.

I've had no issues with many of the add-ons here. So I feel the community has some solid 3rd party developers.

Awesome - I'm loving these new addons. I LOVE XENFORO!

You'll find that once you purchase your license, you will start installing heaps of add ons like I did. Then you will realise a month later that there are heaps you don't need and can uninstall them. :D

Any and all unofficial code can break something - just bear that in mind ;)

Also, give new and unrated mods a chance - it's a good job not everyone thinks like you, or none of the mods would be rated or in use :P

Wasn't this an april fools joke?
I never read into it. Theoretically it ould happen given the developer really isn't thinking about what they're doing? lol
Still I had a very bad experience on another forum software with an add-on... lost a lotttt of data and I forgot to back-up. I lost like 4 days worth of posts :( *was doing weekly back-ups*

I never read into it. Theoretically it ould happen given the developer really isn't thinking about what they're doing? lol
Still I had a very bad experience on another forum software with an add-on... lost a lotttt of data and I forgot to back-up. I lost like 4 days worth of posts :( *was doing weekly back-ups*

Weekly backups = up to 7 days worth of data loss. That's an awful lot, as such, twice daily or daily backups should be done.

Oh yes. I've gone from once a week to daily lmao. Lesson learned years ago. I don't have any sites that would get enough traffic to warrant two backups per day.

Top Bottom