Is it a bad idea to have a lot of add-ons?

bobs409

Not sure how many the average xenforo user has but I'm at 13 add on's now with some more still planned! Is there anything wrong with using alot of these as long as they don't conflict with one another?

I can't help myself, I'm like a kid in a candy store when I'm browsing the resource section! :whistle:

While we're talking about them, how many add on's do you currently have? :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a couple of dozen add-ons installed. Some, most likely, are only executed when certain conditions are met, i.e. a profile page, thread view, etc.

I currently use 5:
- Icewind Dale (though this one is a biggie and encompasses awarding experience, gold, random treasure, setting off traps, triggering encounters, shops, temples, character generation, leveling, healing, pick-pocketing, skill checks, and to a degree a magic system)
- Icewind Rosters
- Icewind Latest Members Block
- Icewind Prune Conversations
- Icewind Total Forum Thread Views

I think from what I've seen and heard, 10 might be the average? That's the average over the xF installs I have.

But like Brogan said, it depends on what the add-on does, and how much of a degradation it puts on the user experience and/or database.

Waindigo add-ons share a lot of code between them, so the more you have, the lesser the impact.

For example, I would expect 3 add-ons created by different developers to use a lot more resources than 3 Waindigo add-ons that do a similar task because of the shared code.

As such, we deliberately release lots of smaller add-ons so you can pick and choose (like in a candy store) rather than install a couple of bigger add-ons with loads of features that you don't need.

Not sure how many the average xenforo user has but I'm at 13 add on's now with some more still planned! Is there anything wrong with using alot of these as long as they don't conflict with one another?

I can't help myself, I'm like a kid in a candy store when I'm browsing the resource section! :whistle:

While we're talking about them, how many add on's do you currently have? :)
Just keep installing them until they start clashing with each other and your forum starts running sluggish.

Once you get to that point, go ahead and start uninstalling some. :D

Push it to the limit!

With the introduction of the event hint in XF 1.2, add-ons are now less likely to impact performance than before as they are only called when they're needed. I wouldn't worry too much about it until it begins impacting your site.

As for pronouncing Waindigo, I err towards "wayne-di-go".

With the introduction of the event hint in XF 1.2, add-ons are now less likely to impact performance than before as they are only called when they're needed. I wouldn't worry too much about it until it begins impacting your site.

As for pronouncing Waindigo, I err towards "wayne-di-go".

I pronounce it "One-de-go" or just "Jon" :D

I would pronounce @Waindigo as 'wayne-di-go' However it could be pronounced Wendigo as it is an alternative spelling of that creature. I had wondered if the name had come from that.

The way I pronounce it: Wa-indigo (indigo as in the colour)

And to get back on topic, install the add-ons that enhance user experience or add a required feature. If at some point your forum does become sluggish, just remove the ones that are seldom used, until your XF responds as expected. Though I really can't see that being an issue if they are coded to XF's standard.

The problem that I have run into is that you might install a particular add-on for some good reason, then two years later, you realize it is no longer compatible with xf. You go back to the resources section to find out exactly what functionality it was supposed to provide (because you can't remember), only to find that it has been deprecated and deleted from the resources section. A quick look through the code indicates that the author chose not to write an uninstall script. So now you're going line by line through install.php and manually dropping tables and columns from the db, then hunting around for a copy of the installation instructions so that you can be sure you undo all of the template edits correctly.

Obviously, some of these issues have been addressed with 1.2, but I would recommend copying the resource description page from xf and saving it along with the original zip file locally so you can find it later. And obviously, the more add-ons you install, the more likely you are to run into a scenario like this.

I guess I'm ok then. So far my forum is running good.

At least half of mine were made by Waindigo who offers some awesome add-on's. It's his fault for tempting me. :ROFLMAO:

Having too many addons can actually be detrimental to your website. Not in the server resources kind of way, but due to the fact that your user base becomes reliant and/or used to the features that are on your website. If a developer abandons a project, then your up the creek without a paddle, and that's a feature that you have to remove from your website, which - in turn - can affect your user base or how they view your site.

Just be careful of what you select as an addon. Make sure they have a good reputation and try to figure out of they are in it for the long haul.

Off topic, I pronounce @Waindigo as "Wayne di go".

On topic, I agree with everyone else about it not being quantity but rather quality that will impact your site. There are several people with large sites that operate with several add ons installed with no problem. By several I mean between 25-50, pretty sure @digitalpoint may have had even more.

Someone did bring up a good point about relying on developers for main parts of your site. You want to make sure it's a person or company that will be around for a while. It would be crappy for you and your users if half your site functionality went away because someone fell off.

Off topic, I pronounce @Waindigo as "Wayne di go".

On topic, I agree with everyone else about it not being quantity but rather quality that will impact your site. There are several people with large sites that operate with several add ons installed with no problem. By several I mean between 25-50, pretty sure @digitalpoint may have had even more.

Someone did bring up a good point about relying on developers for main parts of your site. You want to make sure it's a person or company that will be around for a while. It would be crappy for you and your users if half your site functionality went away because someone fell off.
Yep... I have 54, I made 53 of them, and the 54th is the XenForo Enhanced Search. As others have said, as long as your addons are designed properly, you can have a bunch if you want.

Image%202014.01.09%208%3A56%3A03%20PM.png

Top Bottom