is cloud storing of music files illegal?

pk698

clicky

so this is important, is storing music on a server and listening to the music on any device anywhere illegal? in my opinion, no. if you already paid for a song, then you own it and can listen to it on whatever medium you want. you are not sharing it, just listening to it.

and if it's illegal, I wonder how the record labels can prove that the song was acquired illegally.

clicky

so this is important, is storing music on a server and listening to the music on any device anywhere illegal? in my opinion, no. if you already paid for a song, then you own it and can listen to it on whatever medium you want. you are not sharing it, just listening to it.

and if it's illegal, I wonder how the record labels can prove that the song was acquired illegally.
I would love for it to be legal, but seeing as the RIAA/MPAA still insist on not changing their business model (Even though many artists have taken to releasing their own music on torrents and/or advertising through free releases).

They can complain all they want...I own an album once I buy it. I will listen to it whenever I want, however I want , where ever I choose to...I may even listen naked. They can come to my house and arrest me for all I care...give me a pedestal to stand on. Next thing you know they will tell me shirt and shoes required.

Their arguments are frivolous and bound to no realistic logic. My music is on one of my servers...ALL of my music. It is in a password protected directory...I have made it clear it is for me only. If someone gets to it THEY are breaking the law not I.

The premise they are structured under would be comparable to saying I bought a microwave safe plate...but because I did, I cannot serve a meal prepared in an oven on said plate. Are you kidding me? I pay taxes when I make money, when I spend money and then after the end of the year I get audited to make sure I gave them all their cut. I will not pay them twice for the same thing nor will I pay an artist 5 times for the same album. This is the logic that is actually making people download illegally. These ridiculous confines of how I can use what is "mine" is the exact reason ppl say FU and go get a song sans fees. They are the executioner of their own capital gains. You reap what you sew. Until they re-work their operating procedure RIAA/MPAA can kiss the fattest part of my rear.

Sorry I'm coming across strongly but I have already had to deal with them one one occasion and also had to chew out my ISP for surrendering my information to them. They had no right as I owned the album legally and was downloading an "illegal" copy for backup/playback reasons as I don't even take CD's out of the jewel when I buy them because I have no recourse if my copy of said media gets damaged.

This is a dangerous precident as I don't want a media group to force me to carry reciepts of my music purchases in order to evade piracy charges. Can I see your papers please. No and GTFO and stay away until you have a warrant...I will be ready with a lawsuit for harassment of a private citizen at that time.

They can complain all they want...I own an album once I buy it. I will listen to it whenever I want, however I want , where ever I choose to...I may even listen naked. They can come to my house and arrest me for all I care...give me a pedestal to stand on. Next thing you know they will tell me shirt and shoes required.

Their arguments are frivolous and bound to no realistic logic. My music is on one of my servers...ALL of my music. It is in a password protected directory...I have made it clear it is for me only. If someone gets to it THEY are breaking the law not I.

The premise they are structured under would be comparable to saying I bought a microwave safe plate...but because I did, I cannot serve a meal prepared in an oven on said plate. Are you kidding me? I pay taxes when I make money, when I spend money and then after the end of the year I get audited to make sure I gave them all their cut. I will not pay them twice for the same thing nor will I pay an artist 5 times for the same album. This is the logic that is actually making people download illegally. These ridiculous confines of how I can use what is "mine" is the exact reason ppl say FU and go get a song sans fees. They are the executioner of their own capital gains. You reap what you sew. Until they re-work their operating procedure RIAA/MPAA can kiss the fattest part of my rear.

Sorry I'm coming across strongly but I have already had to deal with them one one occasion and also had to chew out my ISP for surrendering my information to them. They had no right as I owned the album legally and was downloading an "illegal" copy for backup/playback reasons as I don't even take CD's out of the jewel when I buy them because I have no recourse if my copy of said media gets damaged.

This is a dangerous precident as I don't want a media group to force me to carry reciepts of my music purchases in order to evade piracy charges. Can I see your papers please. No and GTFO and stay away until you have a warrant...I will be ready with a lawsuit for harassment of a private citizen at that time.
I had my music on my site in a passworded .rar, and they still required a complete reformat of the server it was on :rolleyes:.

Is there an option to join apple accounts when a couple gets married and share music between the two easily? What happens to my digital purchases when I die? Can I will my music to my kids?

Myspace (remember them?) allowed users to embed music files on their profile page (not sure if they still allow that). So why is the record labels OK with that, yet concerned with cloud music playsers? It's a similar concept... isn't it?

I have been playing with the Amazon cloud since they made it available. I copied my 600+ song collection to their cloud gadget a couple of days ago. I took around four hours and used about 80% of my free space. For me, it is primarily a backup. I may play a song or two from work but rarely since my computer there is pretty crummy from an audio point of view.

It is a good deal. Many of my songs were purchased on iTunes or Amazon. I rarely buy CDs anymore. I'm not sure whether the Amazon Cloud counts as a machine to iTunes and whether they can track it.

Jeff

...I may even listen naked

default.webp

Top Bottom