Iran sentences U.S. man for spy

Carlos

[Note to a mod: Please edit thread title to put espionage.]

I dunno about you, but this kind of stuff is going to re-ignite the war in the Middle East, Iran doesn't seem to want to stop...

Iran's Revolutionary Court sentenced an American to death for spying for the CIA, the semi-official Fars news agency reported on Monday.

I find this part funny...

"The court found him Corrupt on Earth." I don't know how the court system is like in Iran, but that sounds like one of those executions in the ancient times. Using god talk as base for sentencing.

It looks like it's been going on for a while now, as U.S. has been implementing informants in Iran for quite some time.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45923397/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TwqfeoGwWPo

You're presuming he actually was going anything for the CIA. I doubt the courts over there needed much in the way of evidence to convict...

Iran arrests 20 year old student hikers that stray near their borders and keeps them in jail for a couple years claiming they are spies.
I also notice that Iran is desperate to get the Jan 1st 2012 economic sanctions lifted. They'll say / do anything that they feel might help them.

Yes, Iran's govt or their courts system may be corrupt or archaic or evil, but american system is no better. American govts have killed and spread enough violence in the entire world on their own. The whole stuff about Iran you see in MSM is nothing but propaganda to rally public opinion for another conflict and for support of pro aggression candidates in upcoming US elections. Before judging situations try and think about what you read, the sources and implications of why something is being said. That goes for all sides.

Yes, Iran's govt or their courts system may be corrupt or archaic or evil, but american system is no better.

Iran is much more corrupt than the United States.

Least Corrupt Nations:

New Zealand - 1st
United Kingdom - 16th
United States - 24th
Iraq - 120th
Afghanistan - 180th
[source]

If your point was that the United States isn't the benevolent defender of freedom they portray ... then point well taken.(y)
However ....... it defies all statistics and perception to suggest that the United States and Iran are "about the same" in terms of Corruption. It's not even close.

Iran is much more corrupt than the United States.

Least Corrupt Nations:

New Zealand - 1st
United Kingdom - 16th
United States - 24th
Iraq - 120th
Afghanistan - 180th
[source]

If your point was that the United States isn't the benevolent defender of freedom they portray ... then point well taken.(y)
However ....... it defies all statistics and perception to suggest that the United States and Iran are "about the same" in terms of Corruption. It's not even close.

No, I was not saying that US is equally corrupt. That is illogical and simply not true. My point simply was that US can't really afford now to say that they have higher moral ground.

Anyways, I see a LOT of Iran related stories in news agencies these days and many may have forgotten but it reminds me how it was months before the Iraq war started. We got reports of all the evils Saddam and his govt practiced and there were similar comments then by people about Iraq as we now see people saying about Iran. I do not for one second endorse the Iranian govt or their courts. However the point is we don't see the violence in Sudan being reported with such fervor, we don't see reports about anything that's happening in Latin America, what about the authoritarian regime of Burma? So, I ask myself, why is it so important for billionaire news agencies to spend money and report to me what happens in Iran's stupid courts? (Not this particular case, when an american was involved but generally).

No, I was not saying that US is equally corrupt. That is illogical and simply not true. My point simply was that US can't really afford now to say that they have higher moral ground.
Point taken :) The war machine is out of money anyway.
Anyways, I see a LOT of Iran related stories in news agencies these days and many may have forgotten but it reminds me how it was months before the Iraq war started.
Interesting point.
We got reports of all the evils Saddam and his govt practiced and there were similar comments then by people about Iraq as we now see people saying about Iran.
Saddam was nasty. Was the war worth it for Iraqis ... probably not.
However the point is we don't see the violence in Sudan being reported with such fervor, we don't see reports about anything that's happening in Latin America, what about the authoritarian regime of Burma?
Burma isn't trying to make nukes.

Burma isn't trying to make nukes.

While this discussion isn't really suited for this place, it's a business forums after all, I will make one last comment.

So if Iran is allegedly trying to make nukes, it means my citizens need to know that some archaic court in Iran sentenced some alleged adulterating woman. However since Burma is not trying to make nukes, the fact that their govt is routinely imprisonating democracy activists is not newsworthy. Since Syria is not allegedly trying to make nukes, I don't mind passing on the point blank murders of it's protesting citizens but Ahmadinejad is trying to make a nuke so it is important to know the latest silly fatwa about marital affairs issued by some Iranian cleric.

I agree the American News media is super biased.
Not as biased as the state Iranian news, mind you.

Demonizing Iran in the American media probably is an effective way for Washington to keep long term pressure on Iran. Winning the war with Iran in the court of Public Opinion is an essential ingredient for Washington. Ongoing reports that Iran is "extra" cruel against Women is "easy points" in a PR war with Iran.
Honour killings certainly make great news stories - it is front page news in Canada currently.

Speaking of Iran, the Minister of Defence of Canada just married an Iranian ! (while in office !).
For the Americans ... that would be like Donald Rumsfeld marrying an Iranian woman.
Canadians are pretty tolerant people.

Speaking of Iran, the Minister of Defence of Canada just married an Iranian ! (while in office !).
For the Americans ... that would be like Donald Rumsfeld marrying an Iranian woman.

To those who think it is important. Is she a muslim? I have dated women from the Middle East and they where not Muslim. This is not meant to be Muslim bashing, I only mention it because so often people assume if you are from that part of the world you are Muslim. One Middle Eastern girl I dated was quite a head turner and everywhere I went with her heads turned, her family left the region because there where a religious minority. She was not particularly religious but her family was.

From looking at your link I think the only way should would hurt Rumsfeld is Rumsfeld is already married and that she is a bit young for him. If Rumsfeld was single and this lady quite a bit older she would possibly improve his image some.

From your link "Afshin-Jam, who fled Tehran with her family as a young child, was crowned first runner-up at the 2003 Miss World pageant, and has since been known in Vancouver as a vocal campaigner for human rights issues, having co-founded the organization Stop Child Executions, which tries to draw attention to the young people who are on death row in Iran." I think people concerned about Iran would not be too concerned about her.

simple Iran has the right to build its nuclear power ....
there is no evidence to what US is saying !​
as America has the right to wiped out the original ppl of America , Bump Japan , Killing and raping in Abo Graib (Iraq) !!​
Cultural differences should be respected

Top Bottom