Cannot reproduce IPV6 whatismyipaddress.com not working

I've just tested this locally and it works fine for me. Can you tell us what the exact value is of the ipInfoUrl option?

The only reason the URL you posted doesn't work is because it has a trailing slash. If that is removed, then the link works fine. The default value of the ipInfoUrl option doesn't have a trailing slash and the URL we generate therefore shouldn't have one either.

I've just tested this locally and it works fine for me. Can you tell us what the exact value is of the ipInfoUrl option?

The only reason the URL you posted doesn't work is because it has a trailing slash. If that is removed, then the link works fine. The default value of the ipInfoUrl option doesn't have a trailing slash and the URL we generate therefore shouldn't have one either.

In admin panel, on a user, when you show it's IPs, there is the trailing slash.

There shouldn't be because it's an XF generated link (that redirects to whichever service is defined in the ipInfoUrl option) which contains the IP address as a query string, and we wouldn't put a trailing slash at the end of a query string.

Do you have any add-ons that manipulate links or routes in XF?

There shouldn't be because it's an XF generated link (that redirects to whichever service is defined in the ipInfoUrl option) which contains the IP address as a query string, and we wouldn't put a trailing slash at the end of a query string.

Do you have any add-ons that manipulate links or routes in XF?

Not really...

I was sort of expecting a yes or no answer to that question ;)

All I can say at this point is that the XF link builder doesn't add trailing slashes to URLs that have query strings so either the IP address is being logged with a trailing slash for some reason (which doesn't seem likely at all) or there's some sort of customisation or add-on which is manipulating these links erroneously. Unfortunately if all you can say is "not really" then we don't really have enough information to be able to help you any further.

@Chris D I'm getting this now in 2.1...

Here's a few screenshots of where I saw the problem...

Attachments

• ipv6_bug_report1.webp
    ipv6_bug_report1.webp
    4.7 KB · Views: 22
  • ipv6_bug_report2.webp
    ipv6_bug_report2.webp
    3.3 KB · Views: 21
  • ipv6_bug_report3.webp
    ipv6_bug_report3.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 23
What value do you have set for the "IP information URL" under Setup > Options > External service providers?

I don't think it is, but I guess it could have been a default value at some point. I'll check that out. We might need to eradicate it if so.

The trailing slash shouldn't be there (it isn't by default).
Actually...it's still there.

IPv6 lookups have never worked on our XF2 forums, and checking it just now, I removed the trailing slash manually and I can get the IPv6 page properly on whatismyipaddress.com.

So, somewhere the slash is being added. These are the two links being generated by XF (altered the domain and IP addresses below, but kept the formatting):

https://forum.xxxxx.com/misc/ip-info?ip=172.56.13.0

https://forum.xxxxx.com/misc/ip-info?ip=2607%3Afb90%3A17da%3A5523%3Af105%3A3272%3A33bc%3A0000

But for the latter, this is what ends up as the URL once the link is passed to the site:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/2607%3Afb90%3A17da%3A5523%3Af105%3A3272%3A33bc%3A0000/

Somehow, either via their site, or perhaps the browser, that trailing slash is being added for IPv6 but not IPv4.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a Xenforo problem, as the links on the forum do not have the trailing slash. Yet ever since we've seen IPv6 addresses show up in our forum, looking them up has never worked for me. Of the forum software, the browser or the site, I have the feeling the browser (Chrome) is adding that slash, for whatever reason.

Just tried it with chrome (Version 104.0.5112.79 (Official Build) (x86_64)) and im getting a result for an ip6 lookup - no extra trailing slash being added

Screenshot 2022-10-08 at 05.58.47.webp

Top Bottom