Iphone 4 headphone mode problem...and solution

jadmperry

Okay, I just spent a very frustrating few hours today with a problem with my iPhone 4.

I usually use the headphones for calls, but had unplugged yesterday and did not notice a problem at first. I got a call, but could not hear anything on the handset (the schematic calls the in-phone telephone speaker the "receiver"). I assumed it was a connection problem on the callers end. A few hours later, got a call, picked up, and again, no sound...after repeating, "Hello?...hello?" a few times, I hung up. Again a few hours later, my wife called. When I saw her call, on a hunch, I hit speaker and we spoke normally. Now, my suspicions raised, I started to test various apps and did a test call with skype and realized that the receiver would not work.

Fast forward a half hour or so of reading various forum posts and I read that the problem is sometimes called being stuck in "headphone mode." All kinds of solutions were offered, from "jacksex" (essentially just pushing the headphone jack in and out, in and out...) (tried, didn't work), restoring the phone (tried, didn't work), to sticking the phone in the freezer (didn't try, though there seems to be a large segment of people who believe the problem is related to phone overheating), to....drum roll please....blowing as hard as you can into the empty jack. I am happy to report, after some real frustration and nightmare images in my mind of having to pay for a new phone, that this solution fixed my problem.

Thought I would share my low tech solution and triumph over this problem! Not sure how prevalent this problem is but after a few hours of frustration, I figured I needed to share somewhere!

He he ...

April 1st - 10am - Apple support centre:

"Hello, Apple support, my name is Peter how may I help you?"
"Hi Peter, my headphones don't seem to be working when I get a call. I can't hear the other party when I answer the call."
"Ah, okay, well this is a fairly common problem. Please could you remove the headphone jack and plug it back in again. Did what work?"
"Just a second, my wife is calling from her mobile to test it. She's across the room from me. Nope, it's still the same."
"Okay, can you just try that again for me please and let me know if it works?"
"Okay, hang on .... nope, hasn't worked, sorry."
"Okay, no problem. Can you tell me, do you suffer from asthma at all?"
"What?"
"Do you have any breathing or heart conditions?"
"Are you serious?"
"Yes."
"Well, no, not that I know of. What has this got to do with my iPhone not working?"
"Well the next thing I want you to try is removing the jack from the socket, holding the iPhone under your mouth, and then blowing very hard down the socket."
"You're kidding me ... right?"
"No. I'd like you to give that a try and see if it works."
"Are you really serious?"
"Yes, sir. I am."

[20 second pause]

"Oh, ha ha, yes, I get it, ha ha ha ... I like it, well done, you had me there. I've just realised what day it is. Ha ha ha ha. Excellent. I wouldn't have thought you guys would go in for stuff like that, but it's great that Apple has such a good sense of humour. So what do you really want me to do next?"
"Well, actually sir, I'd really like you to blow."

[Click]

:D

blowing as hard as you can into the empty jack. I am happy to report, after some real frustration and nightmare images in my mind of having to pay for a new phone, that this solution fixed my problem.
Same solution works for my lighter.:)

Many years ago when I worked for Orange, one of the solutions given to customers related to phones switching off, SIM cards being ingored, etc. was to rub an eraser over the contacts.
Oxidisation and dirt used to build up and the eraser removed it all.

Trying to convince customers that it was a genuine suggestion was half the battle.

Top Bottom