1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPB Import - Post Disappearance

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by ashkir, Jul 19, 2012.

1. ashkir

ashkir Active Member

Hi there. We found a few threads on our forum completely disappeared. The main post completely vanished, every trace of it gone.

The original topic was 7,000 characters, well below the 10k default limit. We have no idea why this and some others disappeared. It's not a big deal, but, it is a pesky little bug.

Import from IPB to XenForo. Large import.
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Can you provide a link to the same post in IPB? For the purpose of a bug report I need to examine the source data.
  3. ashkir

ashkir Active Member

4. Jake Bunce

Character limits and other verification functions are disabled during the import so that's not it. I don't see anything that might explain this. I can test it myself if you give me a backup of your IPB database. How big is it?
  5. ashkir

ashkir Active Member

The database is a bit over 2 gigabytes, compressed.

Edit: Seems like it only happened to a very tiny amount of posts so it could've easily just been a fluke.
  6. Jake Bunce

That's big. :O

I agree it could just be a fluke. Imports often have small quirks simply because they are subject to the integrity of the source data. There may have been something off about those posts.

If it's just a few threads then you will likely want to manually fix them rather than re-run the import since you are already live. If you want to try to find the cause then send me a copy of your database. But that's a lot of data to move.
  7. ashkir

ashkir Active Member

It looks like it was the same person effected each time. She's reposted them in new threads. :).

Yeah. We're a large forum of role-players! We're very happy with XenForo. We had to disable almost everything on IPB because somehow it made server load explode to 40.0 where XenForo is hovering around 1-3. :D We even had IPB optimized and had IPS Tech and our host look into it. :( XenForo seems to be missing some features we love, but, the stability is freaken amazing. :D
    CyclingTribe likes this.