Invision to XF

Venthas

Hello! I am looking at converting a site from IPS to Xenforo, and just had a few questions regarding a move like this. I understand that converters are available for moving an IPS site to the Xenforo platform. My main concerns are:

1. Is there a way to use Group Promotion to promote from a user's age? IE, automatically adding a secondary group of 18+?
2. Is there a way to allow members to choose specific secondary groups to be a part of, configurable by the admin, so long as they have another secondary group set?
3. I understand that Blogs, Pages, and Clubs currently have no converter. I'm assuming these would be lost to the void?
4. Is there a Pages equivalent? If so, how does one go about adding a Page?
5. How does the Block feature work, if it exists? Does it block from profiles and content? Just from profiles? Or is it more of an Ignore system?

Specifically related to Gallery:
1. How is the conversion handled from Invision? Are albums converted to albums and other media converted to media?
2. Can a category house both albums and regular media? I saw either or when playing with the demo, but not both.
3. Is there a way to separate the Album media display number from the regular Media display number? This causes a bit of a hitch when a certain multiple of images fills the page in one view, but then has a gap of 3 or 4 images in another.

I have to say, I do love how I can add required fields into the Media addon, so definitely kudos there.

I'm sure I have more, but I am liking what I see on the xF galleries compared to the IPS galleries. Mainly for the fact that they have quite a bit more granular control (Tag requirements per category, album categories and the like). The site I'm looking at converting is image image heavy (Over 120,000 images in the Gallery to date).

Last edited:
1. Does not appear so, I couldn't find this option when I reviewed the group promotions.
2. This addon might help: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/social-groups-for-xenforo-2-1.5651/
3. You may be able to pay someone to help custom port the data over.
4. Nodes can be created as pages, forum, or category. You edit an HTML enabled editor box, and that displays the page within your forum. The URL would be something like index.php?pages/custompage - "custompage" being the title. You can use route filters to remove "pages/" which then shortens it to index.php?custompage or use friendly SEO URLs.
5. There's an addon you can get that allows for 2 way blocking, and global ignore. It completely hides their profile & content: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/addonflare-xf2-ignore-block-essentials.7593/

Thank you for your reply! I do have a further question. Is it possoble to hide/block things based on tags, not just user?

Sorry, one other thing. We use an s3 bucket for all of our current gallery files, and a CDN to display them. Where can I find the settings for this?

Last edited:
1. Is there a way to use Group Promotion to promote from a user's age? IE, automatically adding a secondary group of 18+?
There is no age based criterion but it would be possible with a custom user field, which the member themselves would have to check once they reach 18.

2. Is there a way to allow members to choose specific secondary groups to be a part of, configurable by the admin, so long as they have another secondary group set?
Again, that can be done with custom user fields.

A wrote a guide (which you won't have access to until you're a customer).

1. How is the conversion handled from Invision? Are albums converted to albums and other media converted to media?
I believe so (I've never done a gallery conversion).

2. Can a category house both albums and regular media? I saw either or when playing with the demo, but not both.
If it is set as a Container type, yes.

1600439863814.webp

3. Is there a way to separate the Album media display number from the regular Media display number? This causes a bit of a hitch when a certain multiple of images fills the page in one view, but then has a gap of 3 or 4 images in another.
That would require some form of custom development.

Is it possoble to hide/block things based on tags, not just user?
The only ignore function built in is for members.

There is no age based criterion but it would be possible with a custom user field, which the member themselves would have to check once they reach 18.

Again, that can be done with custom user fields.

A wrote a guide (which you won't have access to until you're a customer).

I believe so (I've never done a gallery conversion).

If it is set as a Container type, yes.

View attachment 235316

That would require some form of custom development.

The only ignore function built in is for members.
Thanks! We will definitely need to see about adding a tags blacklist that will be able to hide content based on tags. Ive found the guide for s3 and xF, so that answered my question there. Will likely have to get something custom done to automatically add a group to a user, and then allow users with that group to add 2 others (this is how we are setup on invision).

I will note that for Media, the "container" option does not allow anything (media or albums) to be stored there. Its a "neither" not a "both", and needs sub-nodes to contain content.

Thanks for your replies! I've just got one more (hopefully) quick question. Can media content be a part of more than one album at a time, or is that an addon/custom development item?

@Venthas Out of curiosity, are you going to convert from IPB 4.4.x or 4.5.x?
You might have read my thread with questions, but since I'm also going to convert within a couple of months or maybe earlier. If it's 4.5 I would like to hear your experience about the conversion.

@Venthas Out of curiosity, are you going to convert from IPB 4.4.x or 4.5.x?
You might have read my thread with questions, but since I'm also going to convert within a couple of months or maybe earlier. If it's 4.5 I would like to hear your experience about the conversion.
It'll be from 4.5 (currently 4.5.2). We're going to need some special converters though, so we might have to hire additional help for that. We currently use:

Musicbox (Onlytype's music addon), would like to import this to xF's Media
Blogs (Invision standard), no idea how to go about converting this, we use this as a Literature application
Clubs (Invision standard), somehow would like to convert this to [tl] Social Groups here
Gallery (1:1 conversion, so should be fine)
Forums (same as Gallery, should be fine)
Pages (Currently only running our front page, but probably replaceable with a good Portal addon)

Once we've got all of that worked out, as well as the current Wasabi s3 problems, we'll perform a full conversion onto our current Beta site. Probably a few months out from that though, tbh.

Top Bottom