• No, I don't like IPS4

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Super120 please go and kill yourself

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

imthebest

For anyone interested: http://community.invisionpower.com/

What do you think? I see some interesting things like:
  • When viewing a thread you can see how many "followers" that thread have. @Chris D coded something similar: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/thread-watchers.1205/
  • When viewing a thread you can navigate from page A to page B without reloading the page, just AJAX (might hurt those selling ads based on pageviews).
  • Their stock theme looks more mature than the default XF theme which looks like a child's site (mainly due to the color combination). However the responsive version of XF looks way better than the responsive version of IPS4.
What do you think about IPS4?

I know you guys love me, that's why I'm back :sneaky:

However in case I'm mistaken, if this post receives at least 10 likes then I'm retiring from this forum forever.

Yes and No. At this time I'm not happy with IPB's direction overall. I did upgrade one license not long ago so I could test IPB4. But, I've given up on them atm.

Things I like:
  • I did like the initial new style at first glance. Until I noticed all the wasted space & UI issues. Flat Awesome for XF is much better and it's free!
  • I love the new calendar! Especially being able to add google maps. I need google maps for all content. Last I knew, that would be possible.
  • I liked the Q&A forum feature.

Things I don't like:
  • All the profile privacy options are gone! There are none! I can't use IPB on any serious project when there is total disregard to user privacy!
  • Friends replaced with follow. But no real purpose to follow a member. No longer can you set your profile or your photo albums to friends only. Infact, you must add each person manually who you want to be able to view your private photos every time. Yeah, have fun with that!
  • The issues with the UI overall. It is very confusing!
  • Changed the ability to have a custom background to a cover photo instead. I want my backgrounds back!
  • Suggesting anything remotely close to VB3 profiles is viewed as wanting to copy Twit & FB. I'm so sick of hearing this! Twitter and facebook were NOT first! Yet, they seem to be trying to make IPB profiles look similar to twit & fb without any of the important functions.
  • Forced changes because IPS says it's better their way. Happened on their last major update when they got rid of features like bulk upload for their gallery. Does anyone realize how tedious it is for an admin to add one photo at a time instead of bulk upload? Now they say it's better, in their opinion, not to have privacy & friends options for your members! I don't like others making decisions for my communities that I don't agree with!
  • Notifications still need work. Does not compare to XF default notifications. Even addons for XF have better notifications! Don't know if they fixed it so you can finally be notified on comments to your blog or photo without following each content piece manually yet.
Another discussion about IPB4 with more details:
https://theadminzone.com/threads/so-what-are-your-thoughts-re-ipb-4.117662/page-7

I'm not a fan. It might have looked ok back in 2012 but not now. The style is bland and lacks any real appeal. They could have used better fonts and made better use of space. The editor is far too clunky for forum software. You want an editor that's quick and easy. Sadly you can tell that it was creating on 27 inch + screen. The widths of certain elements is too big on smaller screens and only goes to waste screen space.

Anyway, I don't think forums are IPS main focus now. The seem to be focusing on creating a platform with all their apps. I don't think they will succeed but only time will tell.

It's looking dated already. The trend is light not heavy layouts (so lighter category bars, headers etc.). Having said that, XF could use a facelift as well. Rounded corners everywhere are also dated.

Style to me is irrelevant, as that is always personal and easy enough to create / manipulate to what you want. XF can be styled to look like IPB... I don't understand why anyone discusses styling. User ease and addictiveness, mobile viewing out of the box and administrative control, they are what tick all the boxes for me.

IPB seem to be following nowadays, not innovating. VB are atleast innovative in some areas... they just aren't flash with the end result. XF to me, is innovative, some things are used and improved by what works best elsewhere, but the end result is fresh and works flawlessly. Look at the bugs that get reported here on each release... next to nothing in the scheme of software size.

If XF ever rushed out a release that was bug ridden and garbage, it would be the same day I would cease upgrading my licenses and look elsewhere.

XF right now, IMHO, are leading the forum software field. I think that has a lot to do with being small, able to take risks and play around with things, test stuff out and such, and really listen to what people want, especially administrative features for staff to manage communities.

I have led developer teams which where fast and innovative, it's not about size.

Most of the time its about listening to developers and, more importantly, listening to the best developers. Often management simply doesn't listen.

Seems to be missing a few things, as mentioned by @CallieJo , privacy stuff being removed, is strange, not to mention you can't search for keywords in thread titles.
Seems a bit buggy, too, there's a few threads I've opened which have no post/content.
e.g: Screenshot 2014-11-15 17.46.28.webp

Top Bottom