Invision ipb4 conversion questions

Black Tiger

1.) If one would want to convert from the newest Invision Forum 4.x to Xenforo 2.x is there a good working convertor for this? Without issues?
It's present I've seen, but working oke for newest versions?
So instead of this question maybe, does Xen have something like Pages and Blocks and will these be converted too?

2.) As a second question I'm wondering about Downloads. IPB has a Downloads extension. Would this be converted some how?
Or if the Xenforo Resources extension was bought, would it be converted into that or does one has to build this from scratch?

3.) Will custom smilies also be imported into Xen on conversion? I still use some older vB smilies which are present in a seperate smilie set at the moment.

4.) I presume the editor in Xenforo still supports bbcodes if typed in manually. Lets test this so I've got my answer right away. :)
Code:
test
yes works.

5.) Is it possible to disable profile view for guest fully? I've seen a Xenforo forum which has profile viewing disabled for guests, however on mouseover guest can still see profile info like location and last login.

Last edited:
There is an importer.
You can check for known open bugs here: https://xenforo.com/community/forums/importer-bugs/

Pages and blocks will not be imported, nor will downloads.
You would have to manually reproduce the resources in XF, or have a custom importer developed.

Smilies will be imported.

It would require some form of customisation to prevent guests from viewing member cards - not difficult to do though, just some template edits.

if you want a guaranteed, quick response
Thank you, but it was not that important. However a week is long imho (except in holiday time).

Still one question left.
Does Xenforo has something like blocks and Pages too? I've seen that there is a resource manager which seems something else.
With blocks it's easy to create for example side blocks with information or google ads.

I had tried that before, I loved it, but at that time I already had just gotten an IPB license at a very nice price.
However, I'm considering changing now. ;)
Thanks for the tip though.

Blocks, or widgets are also possible, as are dedicated ad templates.
Just coming back to this. There is a test forum running for me at the moment, but I can't seem to find this blocks/widgets thing.
I found an option to put advertisemetns as a bloc. Which would need some template stuff, otherwise it will have no nice head and not even a title.

1600363681839.webp

I made a title "advertisement" which is not shown like "staff online" or "members online".

On my forums it looks like this, nice headers:
1600363763251.webp

Which is not only a lot prettyer but also these blocks are also very easy to create either via admincp or by a slider on the forums which only admin can see.

Anyway, I presume the header stuff can be fixed some how. But how do I easily create these kind of blocks and custom blocks myself? Which section of the admin cp should I find them with which name? I'm either not looking good, or can't find them in the demo admin panel.

You mean I have to create styletemplates for this? No simple add html block so I create my own easily?
It's not about the styling really, but if simple custom html or php blocks can not be easily made, that's a real downside for me.
That's why I used the demo version to see how this should be done.
It's the pre-sale question section so I want to know this before I buy. ;)

I found something here but that looks like a bunch more work then what I currently am able to do in IPB where I don't have to use all that code in templates myself.

Maybe Xenforo also has an addon like this. Where you just can create blocks and drag them where you want them to display.

OMG... Anti spam is not very good. I would have expected that Xenforo would at least have good default anti spam options.
But it is not even possible to enable a combination of captcha and custom Q&A as far as I can see in the demo. Why not?

Detailed styling and customisation support is not provided in the pre-sales forum, for obvious reasons.

Everything you have asked about related to styling is possible either with the built in features and functions, or by template edits and custom styling.

Detailed styling and customisation support is not provided in the pre-sales forum, for obvious reasons.
I understand, but this means there is detailt styling necessary, so it's less easy then I'm use to with like SMF blocks in simpleportal or blocks in SMF.

Any clue if there is an option coming in a new release, to be able to choose the Q&A next to captcha instead of only instead of captcha?

I found another question, which is much more important to me as this one missing anti-spam option.

Is Xenforo also planning to stop bbcode parsing support? Because IPB is stopping bbcode parsing support. Any clues if Xenforo also is thinking of bbcode parsing as something deprecated which will be stopped soon?

Top Bottom