Add-on Introduction At Registration Posts In Forum

• Thread starter Thread starter Nelson T.
  • Start date Start date
Why not:
1) In the registration success email specify that they need to post
2) Give registered users only the ability to post in the introductions forum.
3) Setup user promotions so that when first post is made then they are able to post and create threads anywhere via a different user group.

Use core whenever possible.

Tried that in VB 4.2. They posted crap and then we had to clean it up. (And perhaps toss them off).

It's better to do this at registration, BEFORE you approve them. Then if they post crap, you don't approve their registration.

Tried that in VB 4.2. They posted crap and then we had to clean it up. (And perhaps toss them off).

It's better to do this at registration, BEFORE you approve them. Then if they post crap, you don't approve their registration.
In that case why not just ban/delete the user if they post crap?

Arent you limiting yourself by forcing members to post in that thread?. For example many people sign up but may never post, just for lurking abilities within a more feature rich site available to the memebrs.

Answers: 1. That forces us to clean up AFTER they are approved and then remove them. Best to just NOT approve them if their registration has a bad introduction.
2. We don't want lurkers- we want participants. Everyone must at least post an introduction.

We are getting off topic. I need someone who can write this reasonably.

Fred, it works very nicely. I never checked its ability to change the forum, but I trust that works also.

The only thing I would add is a MAXIMUM characters to enter in the registration profile, to keep people from entering a lot of junk.

To those who don't know why the forced first post intro doesn't work for us: we want members to participate, but, we don't want to approve them if they enter junk.
It is yet another way to single out spammers. If you use forced first post, they are already members- too late. With this, we can moderate what they posted in the registration field.
If we don't like it, we can reject them as members. Batpool added a minimum character entry, so if they just say "hi" that isn't enough.

This way, we inconvenience them at registration, and then not again. They can lurk after if they want, as long as they entered an intro at registration.
My experience is that most people who enter an introduction will have a greater chance of participating.

Top Bottom