Introducing Stonehearth Cave

Matthew Hawley

Stonehearth Cave is a fan community for the upcoming game, Stonehearth. In the yet to be released game you lead a band of settlers who must carve out their place in the world by gathering resources and building fortifications, while under constant threat from intruders. SHC aims to be the #1 online community for Stonehearth fans.

So, @LandOfOoo (Tom) and I, started making this forum on July 17, 2013. The first style we used was Charm which we customized extensively. Then we saw UI.X and fell in love instantly. So I started the process of converting the style to UI.X when took 3-4 hours. After that we still customized it extensively. The EXTRA.css has 849 lines of CSS. Tom made the homepage, which he did a tremendous job on (y). Here some unique things we like about our forum.

a8s.png

4ZXNTUx.png

When a forum has new posts then the comment icon will be colored like the node titles. The numbers to the right indicate the number of discussions and posts respectively.

o77c.png

I have to confess that the userbar at the top was made by Russ for PixelExit which he kindly let us use, but the post date at the right and the message user info & avatar was our design.

We had a custom mod made, that makes users agree to something before they enter TaigaChat.

rysc.png

We also have a Mod Database (Resource Manager) for users to submit their mods for Stonehearth and quibicle creations. In addition to that we also have xenGallery for users to submit in-game pictures, etc, and XenRio for users to watch other people play Stonehearth.

Become a Citizen Today!
We welcome all feedback!

Last edited:
I really love the user bar incorporated in the design. To verify, does the basic design of that belong to @Russ or to you? I'd love to chat about doing something similar to that!

I never heard of Stonehearth but you caught my attention. I'll need to look into this game. Your site is very nicely done although it seems a little confusing. Like it's just so busy, there's so much popping out at you that you almost don't know where to begin. Maybe that's just me though.

One thing I would suggest is adding in the home link. While at the forum there is no direct link back to the homepage. Even the home link at the footer simply refreshes the forum.

Hey, I'm Tom the other admin on StonehearthCave.com. Just wanted to stop by and showcase the giveaway we currently have going on. Right now we are giving away a free copy of Stonehearth. The game itself has not yet been released yet but we made the purchase through Stonehearth's HumbleStore Widget as a gift. When the game does launch the code can be redeemed for the full-version of the game. Here is the giveaway form/page:

k0Uxlep.png

I styled it after Stonehearth's actual in-game UI. Only one of the two sections is shown using conditionals. The top is shown if the user is not currently eligible to enter and the bottom is shown if they are. The current requirements to enter is an account on the community and one active post. The giveaway automatically ends on October 5, 2013.

That's an awesome giveaway page. Is that something that you setup on your own, or did you modify a resource that's already available?

Top Bottom