1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intersting Article:All the World’s a Game, and Business Is a Player

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jadmperry, Dec 24, 2012.

1. jadmperry

jadmperry Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/24/t...e-and-business-is-a-player.html?smid=pl-share

The badges concept seems to be close to the XF trophies. I can see some interesting possibilities for encouraging behavior and, for those forums that are monetized, making some additional money from smart implementation.

(The article shows some good examples- length of time on a thread, how far you read or scroll on the page, etc.).

2. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Thanks Jadmperry. Personally I'm allergic to the whole screaming WIN POINTS culture that leaps at me. I am sick of telling shops at the till I don't want their tacky points cards for example.
    I also only use the XF award system on one of my sites and I slightly spoof it. We have "Sparkles" and you easily get 100s of them. So just fun.

However I do think this has a place with children and young people with immature psychology. Nor is it all immaturity. They can't possibly understand long term goals like academic and training qualifications, and why homework is so life changing vital. So I think here with under 21s there is a place for reward points and I do use it among the young people we tutor.

The case of Emma and exercise was very interesting, and also Kyle Kroll.
    Kyle's weight loss is truly impressive. Reward points are effective with weight struggle because anyone who is significantly overweight has a gruelling long haul fight to change body state and habits. Biologically and psychologically, there is no personal equipment whatsoever that helps. In fact everything natural in the body and brain resists weight loss bitterly because in evolutionary terms it has been life threatening to lose weight. The struggle is a constant misery which reduces sufferers to a childish needy level similar to addiction. Reward points could be a big help here.

Jake Bunce likes this.
  3. Morgain

4. Morgain

5. Morgain