Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest with what I've read around here...someone is going to have some kind of cms solution for XF whether it's the company or the community I think that's one of those wishes that may get filled sooner than later...as far as getting your hands on a copy...who knows...the holidays are right around the corner. ;-)

The vBAdvanced guy is over here....I have a feeling it will not be long before he has something to offer.

To be honest with what I've read around here...someone is going to have some kind of cms solution for XF whether it's the company or the community I think that's one of those wishes that may get filled sooner than later...as far as getting your hands on a copy...who knows...the holidays are right around the corner. ;-)

True that they're around the corner, but I'm getting something else as my big Xmas present, something that'll actually be able to be applied with regards to one of my sites, but I think that over the enxt couple of months, I should be able to start making some savings towards getting my first copy of this. Ideally, I'd love to beta test this software at some point, but it's more likely I'll be offering to beta test 2.0 or 3.0. One thing I did prefer from the old vB that is adopted here is the purchasing of a licence, then paying a (relative) small nominal sum which allows you to download updates after your 12 months are up. This is something I could continue to support as it's cheaper for me to spread money out over a while, as opposed to paying in one lump sum.

As for the CMS solution, while I think it's okay... I don't really like it all that much and I don't want to switch to another CMS system yet because I like the current integration I have, plus I'm not even sure what I want from a CMS beyond what the regular one does!

I called this on my first day here.
Personally i could give two ****s about the so called moral or ethical implications of such a thing, as morality is relative and ethics are subjective to even the types who believe themselves to the of the highest moral and ethical fiber.

You may not be interested in the morality going down here, but if you go check some Admin hang outs you'll find a lot of people are incensed by IB's actions, including quite a number of vBers with no intention of moving to Xen. A lot of support is coming Xen's way due to what quite a few people are viewing as unethical conduct. Simply put it's been a PR shambles by IB, and it is going to come back to bite them in the bum. The winner here is Xen, so much good will has been generated with the name quickly morphing into a brand, well done IB.

The vBAdvanced guy is over here....I have a feeling it will not be long before he has something to offer.

Sounds good :) I'd be able to use a CMS add-on with a new piece of software because by that point, I'd have a better idea of what I want, plus a clean slate to start from as well.

I have come here after reading the IB announcement...

After experiencing the utter abortion done by IB with vb4 and their announcement I am now going to have a serious close look at xenforo and will be trying to support this product as much as possible from now on - can't wait to see what mods can be created for it
Welcome to XenForo, you will enjoy it here.

XF will be getting my money just as soon as I have the funds to spare... I intend to put the system through its paces before replacing my vB install or linking it into other sites.

You may not be interested in the morality going down here, but if you go check some Admin hang outs you'll find a lot of people are incensed by IB's actions, including quite a number of vBers with no intention of moving to Xen. A lot of support is coming Xen's way due to what quite a few people are viewing as unethical conduct. Simply put it's been a PR shambles by IB, and it is going to come back to bite them in the bum. The winner here is Xen, so much good will has been generated with the name quickly morphing into a brand, well done IB.
Sure, you will get a lot of people who are about our age, people with longtime admin experience, and maybe folks with a decent education to see through IB's tactics.
Guess what though, IB is ok with losing your business.
They are more focused on the hordes of younger people who come to their site looking to buy vBulletin.
That is what they want to protect. They want kids who dont know what they are doing, who will buy the license for their little forum that never attracts any members.
They dont care about what people read on Admin Addicts or what have you, their core demographic is people who have never visited any of those Admin sites.
They can sell a crapload of those licenses and laugh all the way to the bank, they wont care about losing some old timers like us.
That is the corporate paradigm they operate under.
At the end of the day the "moral" argument is moot, this is a business decision for them.
And making sure that there is no active and embarrassing XenForo discussion/advertisement on their sites is a big deal.

That is the corporate paradigm they operate under.
At the end of the day the "moral" argument is moot, this is a business decision for them.
And making sure that there is no active and embarrassing XenForo discussion/advertisement on their sites is a big deal.
I don't think they are behaving this way because they are a corporation, I think they are behaving this way because they are incompetent.

And if the moral argument was moot, then they would just stop the XF discussion when it started. They didn't need to go to all of this trouble to remove some threads or posts, particularly if as you say, they care not for their veteran and savvy users.

Ruven, this may be true in the pre Internet times - but in the longtime this will hurt them. Words are spreading fast nowadays and vBulletin lived on it's reputation.

I heard about Xenforo from Floris' twitter yesterday and was really excited about the release after checking out all the cool features, clean look and UI. Like I told him, I've been a vBulletin customer for the last 10 years, and it feels like being stuck in the early 00s. IB could learn a lot from XF.

That being said, if I were you I would release the beta version for FREE (they only mention selling the product, not giving it away), and start charging when it's gold if people wanna keep on using it, have the updates, etc. (or when the legal problems are solved).

Watch your numbers grow, spreading the word about XF and have an established customer based tired of IB and ready to pay for the software when the time comes. I know I will.

Just my 0.02.

Dont understand real the accouncement, my english not the best, so a simple yes or no for if start Release today is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom