Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
... I'm looking at it and I see that Xenforo uses jQuery rather than YUI, has AJAX everywhere it should be, uses TinyMCE rather than a custom bbcode editor, has HTML5, has slightly different PHP requirements... First glance views as a chartered IT professional with over 15 years experience is that Xenforo is a totally different code base.

That's one sexy list of "Wants" in a Next Generation Forum software !!!

I think the best way to help now is just to buy a license, if they would really need donations too, I guess they would start a Wikipedia-style donation :)

I totally agree. It's wonderful that we all want to support and help XenForo, but we don't know what is going on (correctly so) or whether help is required or not. The most important thing is that XenForo sell licenses ... this is the core of their business and gives the biggest message of all. Anything else, if it comes, will come a lot later.

Just use the vB3 importer for vB4 forums ............ the admins at my ISP did that and had no issues apart from a couple of missing attachments.
That changes all your thread ids and is not a good way to do this.

There is a service to migrate from vB4 back to vB3. or you can wait for the vB4 -> XenForo importer.

In a way it's funny. If IB didn't plaster the lawsuit all over thier site I probably would never of heard of xF.
I have 2 vb 3.x licences and have been putting off upgrading to 4.0 for several reasons. Long story short... I bought a copy of xF this morning and have it up and running on a test site. Love it! Keep up the great work :)

Just like in Hollywood, any publicity is good publicity, that is unless you are Bob Brisco who actually lives in Hollywood.

People like to speculate.
Michael, looking at the replies in the announcement thread over at vBulletin, it is apparent that IB have created business for xenForo themselves. If in a lawsuit, IB were to argue that xF has taken business from them, could the number of people stating that they are buying xF because of IB's actions be any kind of defence?
Defence to what - that the damage was caused byXF was really caused by IB themselves because the customers found the lawsuit filing hideous? No, certainly not. In general, IB is alleging that XF does not have a legal right to exist and sold as an alternative to VB and that each sale represents the unauthorized sale that is the property of IB. As I said before, I haven't seen anything more than bare allegations and no specific facts.

What is IB going to claim in court ?

That these developers (bricklayers) once worked for a company they acquired and now they can't develop (lay bricks to make a living) or work building new buildings for anyone again ????

Will they claim that they hold a copyright on all of Kier's future work because he was the lead developer of vBulletin at one time ???

LOL Brisco !!!!

ah ok, but many softwares have a config.php :)

Almost all software has a config file or a file that does what all config files do. Configure the software and allow a connection from the software to the database. And sometimes even licensing procedures. You can't sue over 1 file :p

What is IB going to claim, that these developers (bricklayers) once worked for a company they acquired and now they can't develop (lay bricks to make a living) or work any longer ????

LOL Brisco !!!!
That's exactly the kind of logic behind courts not enforcing the non compete clause.

Definitely frivolous. A good defense attorney can get this thrown out before it even gets to trial or bog it down with so many motions to delay it for years.

Now, I don't have the complaint in front of me but I'm certain they have 0 standing and if I were XF I'd file motions to counter sue for attorney costs and for that posting they've put up that is simply, liable and slanderous.
I highly doubt that this will be considered a frivolous lawsuit. One has to stretch the limits to do so, unfortunately, at least in the US. I am sure that if IB used a high powered attorney/solicitor, the court would be hesitant to punish one of its own.

The real issue for smaller companies in cases where claims might be close to a sham is the fact that what might feel frivolous is not considered frivolous and punishable under the law. If a big company plaintiff blows $50,000 on legal fees to shut down a smaller competitor who cannot afford the legal costs, job is done and the merits of the case are never reached. It's called a legal and business strategy while others might consider it steamrolling an innocent defendant.

Dismissing a case is not easy if a plaintiff shows that the basic elements are present to assert that a claim could exist and then the case proceeds to "discovery" where the plaintiff can go on a fact finding mission to support the allegations. A judge may say "well... those claims are murky and I wouldn't take your odds of winning if I was a betting man... but it's your right to fund your lawsuit and have a jury decide based upon the evidence." Same problem ensues - while the plaintiff doesn't want to blow any more money than necessary, it might be worth it to bleed the defendant dry rather than lose the market of customers to the defendant.

I'm not passing judgment on either side. I'm just telling you like it is.

Michael, I was sued by a large publishing company and did not even retain a lawyer, I responded to each motion on my own, it took 2 years but eventually the case was won by me, not a cent paid to a law firm, the publisher dropped their case against me because I showed that they fraudulently billed me twice for services they never rendered to me in the first place, so they decided to end the case based on that response and my demand for a jury trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom