Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I am watching some kind of a horror movie here. The main character escapes the evil in the middle of the film; and at the later stage when you think she has made it to safety, the villain reappears. You know who is the snake in the grass here, right? :)

Sorry, but I must strongly disagree. In fact, these specific actions withhold me from buying multiple xenforo licenses (which I fully intended), because these same people who were so eager to withdraw their mods/graphic packs from vb.org may be withdrawing their xenforo releases at will if any disputable or unforeseen action is done by the xenforo team.

These unjustified actions by so called 'supporters' are directed at the wrong people (fellow forum admins) and do nothing to harm Internet Brands. For every leaving dev/designer another one steps in. As Paul M. stated: development of mods and/or releases of graphic sets have not slowed down in any measurable way at vB.org. You're just hurting and disrespecting the wrong people.

As for me: I will never ever consider hiring and/or using releases from Floris, Shelley, entertainer or any other developer/designer who've withdrawn their releases from vB.org, nor will I ever recommend their services to my network (in fact, quite the opposite). They are no better than IB for taking these actions against their fellow peers and it is reflecting very badly on xenforo imho.

It's their ****. They can pull it if they want too. Stop whining about what other people do with their hard work and support. Without people like Floris and Shelley vBulletin wouldn't be what it is today.

So maybe the moral of the story is don't bite the hand that feeds your product.

Sorry, but I must strongly disagree. In fact, these specific actions withhold me from buying multiple xenforo licenses (which I fully intended), because these same people who were so eager to withdraw their mods/graphic packs from vb.org may be withdrawing their xenforo releases at will if any disputable or unforeseen action is done by the xenforo team.

These unjustified actions by so called 'supporters' are directed at the wrong people (fellow forum admins) and do nothing to harm Internet Brands. For every leaving dev/designer another one steps in. As Paul M. stated: development of mods and/or releases of graphic sets have not slowed down in any measurable way at vB.org. You're just hurting and disrespecting the wrong people.

As for me: I will never ever consider hiring and/or using releases from Floris, Shelley, entertainer or any other developer/designer who've withdrawn their releases from vB.org, nor will I ever recommend their services to my network (in fact, quite the opposite). They are no better than IB for taking these actions against their fellow peers and it is reflecting very badly on xenforo imho.
Some people don't like to support others who lack ethics and principles.

If you would know the XF team, you wouldn't post this. As it will never ever happen.

reflecting very badly on xenforo imho.

I have to disagree with you on the most part but for that bit, you shouldn't let the actions of a few members reflect on xenForo. They have done so by their own free choice and it's not fair on xenForo, it has nothing to do with them as a company.

It's their ****. They can pull it if they want too. Stop whining about what other people do with their hard work and support. Without people like Floris and Shelley vBulletin wouldn't be what it is today.

So maybe the moral of the story is don't bite the hand that feeds your product.

You mean for version 3 right? :) hehe.

Desperate times, call for desperate measures... I guess that's their thinking anyway. It doesn't take a genius to realize that xF isn't vB, amazing they would try and do this.

I was (and still will assuming it's available) purchase tomorrow. Originally I had planned to check out see how things work more than anything. However now, I'm going to be looking at things as even more of a way to move off of vB than ever before. I can't and won't support a company such as they've become. It's sad really, they should welcome the competition, but it's obvious like many corporations they'd rather rest on their laurels and spoon feed us BS than IMPROVE their product...

As for me: I will never ever consider hiring (if they are/were for hire) and/or using releases from Floris, Shelley, entertainer or any other developer/designer who've withdrawn their releases from vB.org, nor will I ever recommend their services to my network (in fact, quite the opposite). They are no better than IB for taking these actions against their fellow peers and it is reflecting very badly on xenforo imho.

I'm certain the lawsuit alone wasn't the result of them axing their plugins, it was the years of BS that Internet Brands has given their vBulletin customers, the lawsuit was just the final straw.

Some people don't like to support others who lack ethics and principles.
And if there actually is copyright infringement, breach of contract or whatever involved, accountable to Kier, Mike and Ashley, then who have been the unethical ones? We don't know ANY particulars about IB sueing xenforo yet.

Unethical is hurting your fellow peers who have absolutely no involvement in this, other than seeing their beloved mods pulled.

These unjustified actions by so called 'supporters' are directed at the wrong people (fellow forum admins) and do nothing to harm Internet Brands.
I think you underestimate the importance of the developer community. It's very, very important. They are an army of volunteer developers, unpaid for the most part. They create an ecosystem which adds value to the forum platform through their network-effect.
You in turn suggest not using those developer's outputs, in your own kind of boycott, which is ironic.

The best perspective to remember is that addon developers are humans too, with emotions, and like any volunteer they should be respected. They are completely entitled to remove their support for an organisation with whom they no longer identify. Those developers have no obligation to continue to support IB because of the community of users, as their work was always a gift.

XenFans irc "omg it is the 5th of october!" party

- we hit midnight -

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's never easy when accusations are thrown around and all the "fanboyish" postings will not make anything better. I can't imagine anyone knowing any more details than the developers themselves yet many members post as if they actually KNOW all the details. The mods should simply lock this thread instead of asking to tone down. Enough is enough. Let's give them time to sort this out and may the best forum software win.

I feel like I am watching some kind of a horror movie here. The main character escapes the evil in the middle of the film; and at the later stage when you think she has made it to safety, the villain reappears. You know who is the snake in the grass here, right? :)

Oww, OOw! I know!

And if there actually is copyright infringement, breach of contract or whatever involved, accountable to Kier, Mike and Ashley, then who have been the unethical ones? We don't know ANY particulars about IB sueing xenforo yet.

Unethical is hurting your fellow peers who have absolutely no involvement in this, other than seeing their beloved mods pulled.

Shelley and everyone else has as much right to pull their content as they had to put it up. The only people that it is hurting is those that stay on the sinking ship.

And if there actually is copyright infringement, breach of contract or whatever involved, then who has been the unethical party? We don't know ANY particulars about IB sueing xenforo yet, so don't go claiming IB being unethical.
We may not know for sure but look at the facts, it was announced less than 24 hours before xenForo goes on sale when they've had a couple of months to do it. At this point in time it's very unlikely that they have a copy of the code and therefor can not know if there is infringement.

Does that make it sound completely genuine to you?

Of course, IB is being unethical, if only by making a public statement in an attempt to ruin xF's sale & launch - at this stage any legal action should have been kept private.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom