Internal Server Error when trying to install.


Well-known member
Getting the following when trying to install.
The funny thing is that i got to the install screen the first time around, but XenForo would give me an error during the database page.
I remembered that i had failed to chmod to 777, so i did... but when i came back i got this new error.
Its not going away.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
mod_security is one of the usual suspects when it comes to internal server errors. Ask your host to disable mod_security if they have it installed.

I have also seen file / folder permissions cause this error. For example, I have worked with servers where an excess of permissions causes this. Be sure you didn't chmod everything, only the data and internal_data folders.

Otherwise the server logs should contain details about the error if you can get those from your host.
I am also getting "500 internal server error" on: xenforo/install/index.php?install/step/2
"There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed"

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, probably something needs to be chmod'd somewhere.

Edit: Changing the "data" and "internal_data" directories to be r/w from inherit, allowed it to continue further. However it got stuck with:

" Rebuilding...

An error occurred. Please click the button below for more information."

Unfortunately, there was no button, and then it switched back to the "500 internal server error page". But, I re-ran it, and now it's got all the way to "Setup Administrator".


Well-known member
It should be a text file. Open it in a text editor. Command prompt shouldn't come up when you open it. :)