1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal Server Error plus Suexec issue

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Glockie, Sep 21, 2014.

  1. Glockie

    Glockie Well-Known Member

    Hi all,
    After migrating from one of my packages to a VPS host, the site has been working perfectly with no issues.
    Until now..

    All of a sudden I'm getting an Internal Server error and a Suexec violation.
    From a few searches I have found that it could be related to permissions, which I have adjusted..

    But still the issue remains.
    In the server logs I have the following;
    suexec policy violation: see suexec log for more details

    I'm scratching my head over this as I'm no sure what or why any permissions would change and what's triggered this.
    Until very very late lastnight - early morning, the site had been working wonderfully and was extremely fast....
    I would appreciate any feedback on this and if anyone's encountered this before..

    Many thanks in advance.

    EDIT:
    In the meantime I am restoring a snapshot, until I can fix this issue..
    I've seen elsewhere it could be related to cgi (using fast cgi) or chmod to 755
    God only knows ... :(
     
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  2. Brogan

    Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

    If the problem started unexpectedly then you may want to contact your host and check whether anything was changed.

    Does anyone else have access to the server?
     
  3. WSWD

    WSWD Well-Known Member


    The permissions are most likely the issue. You can't use 777 when you have suexec enabled. Need to change those to 755. Once you do, everything should work fine.
     
  4. Glockie

    Glockie Well-Known Member

    @WSWD they were 755 which I don't get.... I will double check when I can..

    @Brogan no nobody else and the only thing that changed is I edited the virtual host - could be it, to my .co.uk domain instead of .net once I was fully satisfied that the migration was healthy - which it was.
    But!
    You won't believe this......
    The snapshot I restored was of only the core system.
    Nothing else there, none of my db's, files or folders.......

    Just gets better.
    Puh.
    Ah well all good and at least I get to check it again.
    While Virtualmin is okay, it's odd to play with.
     
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  5. Glockie

    Glockie Well-Known Member

    I remember one file I had to chmod to 777 for something....

    I bet that's the bugger that tripped it.
    I always take notes, but can't find what I had changed.

    It was to do with FTP iirc :S
     

Share This Page