Interested in a Xenforo Alternative?

DRE

In light of site down time I slightly panicked because I did not save my resources. The first thing I thought was 'Damn I should've added my resources to my own site'. I probably eventually will but then I don't want to help anyone anymore so that's kind of pointless. Would any of you be interested in an alternative to Xenforo?

I have another site I can put my resources on, probably using Waindigo's Library addon, called http://xen-seo.com and that was a site I made for MrGoodie2Shoes xen-seo addon but we both have our own forum to run (in his case 2 forums). It's just been sitting there for months. Since XenFans is closed, if you would like to give this site a try or join the moderator staff etc let me know. If enough people are interested I'll start working on the site too and create new resources. Not really interested in doing it alone. If you signed up in the past, sign up again and post at least two times cause I had to clean house of posters that had zero or 1 post, back when it got hit with spam.

I'd be more than happy to add a xenforo section to my webmaster forum.. it's a nice friendly atmosphere that has a growing userbase where everyone can speak their opinion w/o fear of getting flamed..

Edit: I work at a hosting company, so my 'job' is to be online all day everyday anyway .. and could keep an eye on things easy enough.

Never been a fan of competing support forums. The main problem is that you don't have access to the customer database so you will be serving everyone, not just license holders. For that reason it won't work well for hosting everyone's addons. If you were just hosting and selling your own addons that's a different story.

The Resource Manager on xenforo.com works great anyways. No need to replace it.

No. Hell No.

You would just be making things easier on pirates, plus it's incredibly redundant.

If you want backups of your resources, make backups? GitHub is free for open source projects and whilst it's not meant as a backup tool it can definitely serve that purpose.

I'd be more than happy to add a xenforo section to my webmaster forum.. it's a nice friendly atmosphere that has a growing userbase where everyone can speak their opinion w/o fear of getting flamed..

Edit: I work at a hosting company, so my 'job' is to be online all day everyday anyway .. and could keep an eye on things easy enough.
If think it would be cool if you had some more resources on Webmaster.cm Not just XenForo, but for a wide range of other products and services.

No point, as long as XenForo is here, the resources will - and if XenForo is down for an extended period of time, you probably will have bigger things to worry about.

Er... I'm not supporting anything. I don't even support my own addons. I make em and I post em. All mine are free because they are scraps from my own site and if I forget how to do something (which happens quite frequently), I look back at Xenforo's resource manager to refresh my memory. I also use my own site's staff forum as a way to record what I do but the benefit of posting stuff in the resource manager is that other webmasters/coders/designers are able to provide their input which may end up improving my own resource.

That's the logic behind what I do. If there are members here who feel the same, they are more than welcome. That's all I'm saying. I'm not sitting here thinking about giving people support or worried about pirates. My main concern is there being no xenforo and no place to go when I need xenforo stuff. I don't want to have to go to other admin boards or warez sites for that and if it's modded right and has the right set up, piracy won't be a problem (need certain amount of posts to download, product manager, paid subscriptions, whatever).

Er... I'm not supporting anything. I don't even support my own addons. I make em and I post em. All mine are free because they are scraps from my own site and if I forget how to do something (which happens quite frequently), I look back at Xenforo's resource manager to refresh my memory. I also use my own site's staff forum as a way to record what I do but the benefit of posting stuff in the resource manager is that other webmasters/coders/designers are able to provide their input which may end up improving my own resource.

That's the logic behind what I do. If there are members here who feel the same, they are more than welcome. That's all I'm saying. I'm not sitting here thinking about giving people support or worried about pirates. My main concern is there being no xenforo and no place to go when I need xenforo stuff. I don't want to have to go to other admin boards or warez sites for that and if it's modded right and has the right set up, piracy won't be a problem (need certain amount of posts to download, product manager, paid subscriptions, whatever).

You are taking Jake's terminology out of context, hes simply referring to the XenForo site as a whole (including the resource manager), whether you support your resources or not is completely irrelevant.

Fwiw my responses were based on the content of the post, not the title of the thread. I am able to read and contextualize. :)

Fwiw my responses were based on the content of the post, not the title of the thread. I am able to read and contextualize. :)
Yeah but you suggested github. Can't people easily download from there just the same as from a forum? Besides that site ain't cool nor does it have cool features like xenforo forums do.

Yeah but you suggested github. Can't people easily download from there just the same as from a forum? Besides that site ain't cool nor does it have cool features like xenforo forums do.

I suggested it as a means for you to organize your resources, not as a distribution platform.

Whether GitHub (or any THING) is "cool" is subjective. It serves a completely different purpose than XenForo so you can't really compare the two.

And me.. I'm just trying to grow my forum :) If I can help other xenforo users out, its a win.
Your site looks very nice. There are a lot of webmaster sites that you compete with though. I post on two, AdminExtra and TheAdminZone. Those sites have some xenforo content. Then there are the sites that each addon creator that sells their addons own like Robbo's, Waindigo's, Rigel's, Borbole's, MrGoodie2Shoes and countless others. Those sites have paid xenforo content but for their own addons. xen-seo started out like that, but isn't even being used. Then there's the fact that the only xenforo forums that I know of that are all about xenforo are either non-english or warez sites.

This site could be sorta like Xenfans... but not based on just one addon or several addons. Just more of hybrid of everything and you could post threads of your own with links to your own site etc. In that way it could help grow your own forum. I even asked Floris what he thought but I haven't heard back from him.

If people were that worried about pirates then they wouldn't post anything on here because almost everything on here becomes pirated anyway. For example. My Facebook Style has around 32 downloads here in the resource manager. When I looked at one viet xenforo forum (of which there are several) and 'team' warez site, that style had well over 200 downloads.

If people were that worried about pirates then they wouldn't post anything on here because almost everything on here becomes pirated anyway. For example. My Facebook Style has around 32 downloads here in the resource manager. When I looked at one viet xenforo forum (of which there are several) and 'team' warez site, that style had well over 200 downloads.

Darn you're right, I might as well just open the flood gates and give up because pirates will be pirates.

I resent everything about that.

Only alternative to Xenforo (it's a bit retro).
bulletin_board_web[1].webp

Top Bottom