Add-on Interest for a Pinned Posts addon

Nulumia

I've had my own uses for such functionality for a while, so wondering if there'd be an interest in such an addon. As I'm currently busy building other current addons this wouldn't be started until later.

There's currently some existing pinned profile posts and legacy pinned post addons for XF1, but I couldn't find anything for XF2. This is not an idea for "Sticky posts", or to stick the first post of a thread. Basically, let's say there's a major thread with many hundreds of replies that serves as the official spot for one topic. I think that resource discussion threads are a great example, where addon or style authors mention many important points which may get lost in the see of replies.

With this, we could mark posts as Pinned, and those pinned posts would be displayed either above the first post or at the bottom of the page. Since posts don't have their own unique titles, they would be displayed with short previews of say, the first 40 characters. They could be shown in a row, simple list, grid or even carousel.

Clicking on them would jump ahead to those posts.

This could allow thread starters to manage important threads so users can always find important info or updates, even like a thread-as-wiki. Again while RM threads is a good example, the uses are nearly infinite.

Thanks for reading.

Not sure I understand.

But does this work?

Not sure I understand.

But does this work?
Sorry guess I realized that we all somewhat mix the terms posts and threads together at times when thinking about threads when it's a first post.

That addon is for pinning entire threads, while my idea is to pin individual posts/replies within threads.

So for example, let's say you're an addon author here and you replied with an important update about your resource on page 97 of your discussion thread. You could pin that post within the thread, along with others, so they display at the top when first reading the thread from page 1.

Or another example, let's say you have a role play forum and a thread serves as an ongoing collaborative story, where people reply with new additions to the story. You could pin posts (replies) which mark new chapters in the story, so they're easily clicked on from the first page.

Or you have a feedback gathering thread with 500 replies. You could pin the best ideas to the top of page 1 of the thread.

Basically none of the functionality is seen outside of the thread itself. It serves as a navigation to jump to key replies within a thread.

Thanks for explaining in detail XF has bookmarks for posts already, and this add-on by @Xon lets you share them:

Top Bottom