Lack of interest Intelligent notifications

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
There is one thing in forums that is annoying me when using mail notifications: When I turn on mail notifications and I am in the forum I can see that there is a new post on a watched thread for example. Therefore I do not need another mail. From my point of view that is going to be spam mail and I am deleting them because I have seen the notification already in the forum.

I would prefer an user option that can define a delay of a mail notification and do not send me one when I am currently logged in the forum and see the alert.

I hope you could understand this explanation. :D

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
But only activated after opening the Alerts drop down menu. Because you could be logged in and not be viewing the page, but still wait for an email. So it should be active browsing. Nice idea.

The behaivior you describe happens even on facebook. It probably is too server intensive to determine if you are active or not before sending you an email.

The behaivior you describe happens even on facebook. It probably is too server intensive to determine if you are active or not before sending you an email.
I can see it being server intensive if the check is ran every time an alert is processed but if it's ran at the first alert to calculate how long they have been active for then ran after that time period to check if they're still active it may not be quite so intensive.

Not sure that would work. How does the server now after the threshold whether it has to send an email or not if it is not checking?

Post/logout .....Reply.......Reply...... Threshold.......Reply........Reply
....10:00...........10:01......10:09...........10:15............10:17.........10:20
........................Check.......Check..............................Check.......Check
.........................!send........!send................................send..........send

Assuming the active time limit is 15 minutes

Check if logged in -> Last active: 5 minutes ago -> Send alerts without e-mails for 10 minutes without checking -> Check after 10 mins, if active, calculate 15 minutes in advance and send alerts without e-mails. If not, proceed to send e-mails.

Of course it will mean that some e-mails will be delayed, but hey.

Top Bottom