Instead of a CMS frontpage like WP - Is it poss. to use XF?

Netsultants

If I wanted to have a homepage that looks similar to this template, for example, is it possible to do it in XF? I don't see the benefit of adding another content manager if you are only going to add a few stories to a homepage. Instead, it would be interesting if you could pull content from a post number. Possibly even in a subforum that is hidden in the forum pages if you wanted.

Am I making myself clear? Thoughts?

Here's an example: http://ericulous.com/2010/10/26/wp-theme-cadabrapress-magazine/

You could use a Page as your homepage.
As they support php, you can pull content from any forum.

Alternatively, doing a basic homepage to match the forum style isn't that difficult; I currently do exactly that on my site.

Don't pages fall under the main header and menu? Is it alterable to have a totally diff look than the XF forum?

Don't pages fall under the main header and menu? Is it alterable to have a totally diff look than the XF forum?
Yes, they do.
I wasn't aware you wanted a completely different look, it wasn't clear from the link.

Essentially though you can just create a php page and include the various css stylesheets.
You can then build the page so it looks the same as the forum style, omitting the bits you don't want.

Ok, as I was looking into a cms solution (wp, etc.) I thought it might be an easier solution to just create a php page.

Do you know anyone building a template like this or is there a better place to make a request?

Anyone up for writing a php page like this?

Edit: Arny, I didn't see your post until after I posted. That is the direction I want to go and it confirms it's possible. I just want it a bit different than that.

I'm trying to create a wp / cms stlye homepage in php. (see above: "Do you know anyone building a template like this or is there a better place to make a request?")

Seems possible to create it in XF pages, no? The link that Arny shared kind of shows me it's possible. I wanted to know if anyone is creating, or is interested in creating, a template like this so you wouldn't need to install WP just to do this.

How much are you paying?

You've already been pointed to what you're asking for. But you "just want it a bit different than that," which sounds to me like you want someone to write some code to your specifications. Traditionally you would pay a php developer to do that. You know, in the old days.

How old were those days? :D

It might come down to having it specifically coded for me, but I was hoping for a template that does what I need. I think that would benefit the whole community and make someone some serious brownie pts. How much would I pay? I dunno... The site I need this for I don't make anything. I put it up for the benefit of others.

The forum is http://www.allergychat.org/forums/index.php
I wanted to use VB suite to recreate a homepage, but you know what a disaster VB turned into.

I have tested XF at http://community.allergychat.org

I really like the std theme for XF. I just need a template page with some divs and the ability to pull content. Something like the link in my first post and the way my homepage looks now.

Allergychat is being formed as a 501c3 charity.

Top Bottom