XF 2.1 installing xenforo on new domain

Rock75

Hi i my question is, I have installed xenforo on domain about 6 months ago, now i have purchased new domain and i want to transfer my forum to the new domain, i only have forum files backup data (data, images, install, js etc)
Is this enough if i uploaded it to the new host public_html folder and run install.
I will get back up all my modifications , themes, addons etc???
thanks

Copy files to your new host while leaving old intact, do a db export then an import to new db. Set up new domain make changes in new xenforo for name change and test. If all works and it should. Redirect old domain to new domain. Update Xenforo customers section with new domain.

Copy files to your new host while leaving old intact, do a db export then an import to new db. Set up new domain make changes in new xenforo for name change and test. If all works and it should. Redirect old domain to new domain. Update Xenforo customers section with new domain.
thanks for your help,can you please elobrate this "do a db export then an import to new db."

hi i have transfered the domain to other hosting successfully , now i only have backup files of my forum which i have downloaded already, i dont have anything else then these backupfiles in folders (data, images, install, js etc)
i already uploaded it to public_html and run the website.com/install, but it could not go further.can anyone help me here

You need to transfer the database and the files.

Navigating to /install is not necessary - for a successful transfer, the site will just work as it did before.

You need to transfer the database and the files.

Navigating to /install is not necessary - for a successful transfer, the site will just work as it did before.
Screenshot (2).png

Hi brogan, after uploading all files , and running /install it is asking for upgrade system login, i used admin login , but couldn't work, it says "The requested user could not be found."
as for as database is concerned i have only config.php file , which contains database name and user details

Last edited:
Hi brogan i have installed xenforo from start, and then updated all folders with my previous backup files , now i got home page with all menus i have created in past for my forum but cant see any nodes and boards , but can see this message
"The site is currently being upgraded. Please check back later." and still got this message, even 1 hour passed.
in the admin panel i can see this message
Screenshot (2).webp
Is this the reason of php, why its not going further or any other reason?

No, that has nothing to do with it.

You appear to have done a new installation, not a migration.

You may want to secure the services of a third party who can assist with that, if you aren't sure how to do it.

One last question Brogan, when i just upload previous backup of files on public_html (no new installation) and open my site url i got this message
Screenshot (2) (1).png
what is upgrade system login, as i used previous admin login here but it also give error,"The requested user could not be found."can you tell me how i can proceed further from here, even if i go to /install it gives same screen

Last edited:
It would be your admin name and password. It looks like you don't have a copy of your old database and only uploaded the XF files. If you don't have a copy of your old database the only thing you can do is a fresh install and start over from scratch.

If you don't have a copy of your old database the only thing you can do is a fresh install and start over from scratch.
Your old host may still have the database (and rthey certainly should have if your account is still open).

Ideally the new host should have migrated everything across if you are actually switching hosts. But if they didn't it would be up to you to backup (download) not just the file system but also the database/s. Hence see if the old host still has everything on the server.

Last edited:
Top Bottom