1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing add-ons via FTP

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Arantor, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Arantor

Arantor Active Member

I'm curious.

When I first dipped my toe into installing add-ons, I was very surprised that there was no way to install an add-on via web interface much as I had been used to with SMF.

Are there any plans to introduce something like that or not? Does it bother you that XenForo doesn't allow it? (Or am I missing something pretty fundamental?)

Disclaimer: I do development work on a free forum package. I do also have a live XenForo forum too.

2. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Doesnt particularly bother me that you cant do this from xenforo tbh. Not a massive issue to upload something via ftp and then import a file. I kinda look from the point of view that what would I rather have, an automatic upload and install procedure for the addons when Im capable of doing this myself, or more core feature for users being developed? Personally I would chose the latter. Make it easy for me to develop yeah, but other than that Im happy to install as we do at the moment.

3. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

It would be handy if this was like Wordpress (for example) in that respect, where you could install something via the browser without delving into FTP. However as I regularly FTP anyway for other stuff it hasn't really bothered me. Could be a nice feature to have in future though. Anything that makes life easier for those not confident with FTP and the likes can only be good.

4. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

would be perfect for me, since port 21 is blocked for me in the office....