Lack of interest Insert media from categories & other members public albums into post

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Alpha1

The function to directly insert media into a post is already there. Currently the XFMG bbcode only allows you to insert your own media. It should also be possible to insert media uploaded by others into a post. At least the media that is in categories and public albums.

This would be much easier than going to XFMG, browsing to the entry, copying the share bbcode and pasting it into the thread.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I originally made this suggestion over on Xen Resources https://xenresources.com/threads/insert-media-that-isnt-your-own-into-posts.1056/

I haven't transferred it across to here, not because I don't like the idea of being able to do this but because I can't think of an elegant way of doing it. Using the current camera button in the editor brings up a list of your media. This could be quite long already if you have added a lot of media. Being able to add media from others just isn't workable using the current solution as the list would potentially be massive and impossible to navigate.

If you can suggest another way of doing it, then please do as I can't think of a good way to make this actually work.

In the meantime, you can still add media from others into posts by viewing the media and using one of the share codes that's on the right.

upload_2014-11-13_18-54-41.webp

Currently using the camera button this bring up a tab 'your media'. It would make sense to have other tabs next to it.
A tab 'category media' could have a simple interface to go to the desired category and bring up the media from that category.
A tab 'member albums' could have a simple interface to go to the desired member album and bring up the media from that album.

Currently using the camera button this bring up a tab 'your media'. It would make sense to have other tabs next to it.
A tab 'category media' could have a simple interface to go to the desired category and bring up the media from that category.
A tab 'member albums' could have a simple interface to go to the desired member album and bring up the media from that album.
So effectively you want to re-create XFMG in tabs at the bottom of the editor (well, the views of XFMG not including the individual media pages)?

Interesting if that's your suggestion but I think it would be a nightmare to implement and get working well, especially with responsive design.

There already is one tab which loads media thumbs. My suggestion is to add one or two more. Obviously the content of only one tab would be visible. The only difference with the interface in the current tab would be that the new tabs would have a selection interface (dropdown or similar) to select which media is displayed in the tab.

There already is one tab which loads media thumbs. My suggestion is to add one or two more. Obviously the content of only one tab would be visible. The only difference with the interface in the current tab would be that the new tabs would have a selection interface (dropdown or similar) to select which media is displayed in the tab.
Yes, I understand what you meant. What I meant though is for galleries with a large amount of media, there would have to be pagination in the same way as there is in the gallery when you click on a category or you go into the albums section. Having infinite scroll as there currently is wouldn't work as the image list would be so huge that the page would likely hang. So this is what I mean by this effectively re-creating XFMG in tabs. Then of course with an awful lot of images you'd probably need to search to find the right media...

This is why I left the suggestion. As I said, I would like it and it might work with a small gallery but when it comes to larger ones with lots of categories and a plethora of albums, it becomes much more difficult to get something that works well.

Yes, I can see how this would be problematic on a forum like mine where we have over 2,000 categories of photos and more than 200,000 images ... trying to select a specific image navigating the gallery via a popup would become very clumsy I feel.

If you were just showing a list of titles, it might not be so bad - but you'd also need to show thumbnails, which makes the interface larger and more demanding.

I'm not sure it would actually be any quicker than just opening the gallery in a new window and browsing the galleries to find images and copy-paste the BBCode from there ?

I'd love it if someone could come up with an elegant solution though.

How about a popup search interface where you could start typing some keywords and using type-ahead it shows you thumbnails of images so you can narrow it down quickly to a specific photo you're looking for and insert into a post - that might be workable?

If you don't know what you're actually looking for to know the search terms, then you might just have to go browse the gallery by hand, but if you do know eg "elephant san diego zoo", then I think some kind of search popup for inserting images into posts might work ??

Just a thought.

As I said, I would like it and it might work with a small gallery but when it comes to larger ones with lots of categories and a plethora of albums, it becomes much more difficult to get something that works well.
Your points are excellent.

Still it would be a very popular function if users could easily insert media from others. There has got to be an elegant solution that we can think of.
How about a popup search interface where you could start typing some keywords and using type-ahead it shows you thumbnails of images so you can narrow it down quickly to a specific photo you're looking for and insert into a post - that might be workable?
Search would work as long as the results are limited. Maybe have search fields for term, author and time.
The term could be searched for in title, description and tag and display by relevance.

Top Bottom