1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase the 50 Character forum title limit

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by 0ptima, Mar 6, 2011.

1. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

I have forum titles that need more than the 50 character limit. Can this be changed in the next release?

W1zzard, sbj, Brett Chitty and 19 others like this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Presumably you wanted this moved to suggestions?

3. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

ya!

4. Alex

Alex Active Member

I agree with this as I'm sure some of ours are over 50 characters long

5. Veer

Veer Well-Known Member

+1 this.

Mine forum titles also over 50 but because of this restriction I have to write in shorts.

6. PRODOS

PRODOS Member

+1

Many of my forum titles require more than 50 characters also.
    I was able to go over 50 characters with the forum software I was running before.

I would be happy to contribute some money towards getting this solved.

Thanks.

7. BassMan

BassMan Well-Known Member

Check here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/title-control.2485/

8. PRODOS

PRODOS Member

Greetings BassMan.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Although this is a very nice addon, unfortunately it seems to apply to the character limit of Thread titles, rather than node titles such as Category and Forum. In fact I messaged its developer, AndyB, to check on this.

There does seem to be a hack -- explained by Staff Member, Jake Bunce -- that can extend the character limit of Nodes to 100:
    http://xenforo.com/community/threads/forum-title-character-length-help.36251/

But its implementation is a bit beyond my ability -- or rather my confidence to try it without wondering whether I'll stuff up my forum (!!)

Best Wishes,

PRODOS
    Currently visiting Cincinnati, USA.

9. BassMan

BassMan Well-Known Member

Oh, sorry, read it too fast. I hope you'll get a solution from developer AndyB.

10. PRODOS

PRODOS Member

No problem. It's always useful for a newbie like me to check out the vast collection of Xenforo Addons that are available! One thing leads to another and you never know what you'll discover. (Hmmm ... I think that rhymes.)

:)

PRODOS

11. Emil JaBo

Emil JaBo Active Member

+1 on this.

It's pretty much essential that I be able to use more than 50 characters.

12. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

I think a forum administrator should be able to do this with ease, but I also believe that a forum title should rarely need to be over 50 characters, but sometimes there are necessary exceptions such as longer words, so I guess I support this.

13. iguanairs

iguanairs Member

I use taxonomic names on my sites and this limit kills me. I actually created a thread regarding this a few minutes ago requesting that it is added during a xenforo upgrade. I am sure there is a reason for it being set at 50 (I asked why in the thread as well) but this is something I have to have. the manual modification of the database and file is bad practice that i learned from my days using vbulletin. I really want to avoid making my mistakes of the past. I support this being increased in the next upgrade 100000%. lol I NEED this functionality!

14. PRODOS

PRODOS Member

Greetings iguannairs,

I has a mod made for me that increases the character limit of node titles.

It seems to be working fine.

I recommend you contact:
    https://xenforo.com/community/members/nobita-kun.51180/

.... and see if he'll sell it to you.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS
    Melbourne, Australia

15. iguanairs

iguanairs Member

16. PRODOS

PRODOS Member

Ah! I hadn't realized that Nobita.Kun had made this a freebie mod now!

After he created it for me (assuming it's more or less the same mod) I had suggested to him that he offer it for a small fee or for free to XenForo forum owners.

I'm very happy to see it's now available! :)

iguanairs likes this.
  17. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

@Waindigo 's mod (HTML in node titles?) I believe also hugely extends the limit (to allow HTML) - might be worth checking out

iguanairs and Jon W like this.
  18. Optic

Optic Well-Known Member

Bumping and liking this as I would like to see this increased too and/or have an option to change this so it persists through forum upgrades.

19. Aivaras

Aivaras Active Member

As XF2 is approaching I would like to bring this issue to the attention of the community. Please, like the first post of this thread.

semprot likes this.