Include Animated JoyPixels Animoji / Emoji One

RobinHood

Joy Pixels (formerly Emoji One) have released some rather nice animated emoji.

Do XenForo have a licence to distribute them in the core? Could be a nice addition.

If not, it could be worth asking them about how much it would cost for a heavily discounted volume enterprise reseller licence and it could be a paid upgrade for XenForo licences purchased through XF.com as an official add on.

Last edited:
Upvote 17
If not, it could be worth asking them about how much it would cost for a heavily discounted volume enterprise reseller licence and it could be a paid upgrade for XenForo licences purchased through XF.com as an official add on.
Yeah, I'd be more than willing to pay for a discount animated pack also but only if it was version of the license that included the SVG files. Last time I reached out to them about which license would be applicable for a forum they came back saying at a minimum their 'business' license for 1-5 employees would be required and the current cost of that is $149. At $149 I don't want to use them that bad. :laugh:

Yeah, that would be good.

With XenForo's potential buying power due to it's customer base I would hope they'd be willing to work out a very favourable reseller rate so both parties could make some extra money.

Better than no sales. Their retail licence prices for single sites are very steep IMO. And it kind of takes the piss when you consider they were founded and prided themselves on being open source and free.

From their original site:

Still, I guess it's fair they have to make money some how if it's no longer open source and it's a full time business. But there needs to be more accessible pricing for smaller sites with low revenue or zero revenue hobby sites, maybe a volume licencing agreement for XF customers can make this more accesible.

Looking at their site, their individual license would cover zero revenue hobby forums ($49), but you'd need to make absolutely nothing from the site to be eligible for it.
I think, if I recall correctly (because they don't even have the "Personal" license listed on their compare page and it seems that their wording changes), that you would only get the PNG versions but that may have changed.

Unfortunately based on my email with their rep Lisa back at the beginning of this past March, when I inquired about what kind of license I'd need for my hobby sci-fi forum that doesn't run any ads, doesn't sell ads, doesn't accept donations, but does have the occasional rarely clicked on Amazon affiliate link, her response was "Unfortunately, you straddle the line between personal and business, which is why we created the Micro Business License." and the cheapest solution for me would've been the $149 license for the animated pack. For that site I really wanted to pick up a license for the alien pack but because of her response with the licensing that still would've ran me $99 just for them.

The photography forum on the other hand is bit more clear as it does display ads and accepts donations in the form of XF subscriptions. The site loses money but I don't think JoyPixels would care about that part when it comes to which license I'd need for it. :LOL:

If the XF business guys are reading this.... yes, please try to work out some type of agreement with them! If we (XF customers) get could a discounted price for access to the SVG versions of the packs to use on our XF sites (no redistribution, etc., just used for the XF installs) then I think like RobinHood said above, it'd be a win-win-win scenario - JoyPixels gets some sales, XF customers get a break on pricing, and XF is able to offer an incentive to their customers and, depending on how good your business guys are :p, a percentage of sales.

Or I suppose they could just higher a designer and pay them a few grand or a some appropriate fixed amount to design their own set and completely own the rights and include them in the core if they think it's worth it.

I guess it depends on what JoyPixel's plan is with regards to updating and maintaining the set over time. I still think it's a bit weird that they're milking their product for cash after intially gaining market penetration and an install base via an open source model. The animated ones do look great though.

And all you have to do is look at the Microsoft set to see a great example of a bloody awful custom implimentation from a company with enough cash that could pay the best designers in the world, yet they still ended up with the abomination that shipped with Windows 10.

Top Bottom