XF 2.1 Importing vbulletin 4 database into new installation help

Devin79

Clearly I am doing something wrong.

I have recently installed Xenforo 2.1.1 and the importer. My old forums are Vbulletin 4.

I am desperately trying to import user data, threads and posts (I dont need almost anything else).

I go to import data, which fails due to table prefix (according to myphp its xf) but that doesnt work.

ok so do I upload the vbulletin database somewhere?

I am asking because when you're in the xenforo admin area and you go to Tools - Import data and the screen comes up where you populate this info, how does it know? Like if I am entering the vbulletin prefix I used but havent uploaded the db anywhere how does it know the prefix was wrong?

In other words am I missing a step to importing this database?

The VB database (and attachments/avatars if they are stored in the file system) must be on the same server where XF is installed.

Your vBulletin database must already be on your server or your vBulletin forum wouldn't have worked. You just need to enter the details for that database on the first page of the importer.

If you still have access to your previous host, you can ask your new hosts to copy it over.

Alternatively, you can export the vbulletin database to your hard drive and then import it as a new database using phpMyAdmin 0on the new server.

right, but to be clear when you say import - you mean what? Importing it into mysql?
If in doubt ask your host to migrate it from the old server. You can import into PHPmyadmin, but it's very unreliable for any database larger than about 50MB. I use big dump as I am on a shared server and don't have SSH access which otherwise is the best way.

If you can export the database and upload it (securely) via FTP then the new host if they are any use will do the import into mysql for you.

Last edited:
If in doubt ask your host to migrate it from the old server. You can import into PHPmyadmin, but it's very unreliable for any database larger than about 50MB. I use big dump as I am on a shared server and don't have SSH access which otherwise is the best way.

If you can export the database and upload it (securely) via FTP then the new host if they are any use will do the import into mysql for you.
I agree.

Top Bottom