Importing vB4.2.5 - will internal URL links be migrated and work correctly?

Mikethemix

We have a vB4.2.5 forum that has a lot of internal URL links which we would like to migrate to XF2
They are of two types of link:
a. Link to another post / thread eg: http://www.ourforum.org.uk/showthread.php?p=4950#post4950
b. Direct link to an file attachment which is "stored" within another post
eg: http://www.ourforum.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=3996&d=1298841216
or embedded within text looking like this:
63(7-8)

When we migrate this forum to XF2, will the internal url links be correctly handed? (ie will they still work?)

Many thanks...

Last edited:
They won't be handled at all and result in a 404.

However, depending on how you did the import, you can implement rewites at the webserver lebel or use one of the existing redirection Add-ons.

Sorry to be asking dumb questions here.
I don't understand quite what you mean by "how you did the import".
What are the options in this regard?
We have the vB forum sitting on a shared server with its usual structure consisting of a MySQL database and a file structure including public html with attachments etc etc.
How should we import it in order for the urls to work?
Many thanks,
Mike

I'm just hooking in to this, sorry.

But now I'm very confused? Since Kier is a former vB developper I expected an importer to work flawlessly. And now I read that internal links do not get converted automatically? Is that a fact?
Is this also the same when converting a vB 4.2.3 forum to Xenforo 1.x?

Because some friends of mine are considering to convert from vB 4.2.3. to Xenforo, but when simple internal links are not converted automatically and will only work ater importing and after implementing some mod, this could be a big reason to not convert to Xenforo.
This is because they already lost a lot of image content when upgrading to vb4 due to a known but not fixed bug which destroyed the image links (and is not repairable anymore). So they are very cautious now.

Or am I missing something?

And now I read that internal links do not get converted automatically? Is that a fact?

During the import no links get converted (why should they?) - but the redirect script works extremely well so no need to worry.

This is because they already lost a lot of image content when upgrading to vb4 due to a known but not fixed bug which destroyed the image links (and is not repairable anymore). So they are very cautious now.

I wouldn't let avBulletin issue cloud your view of Xenforo, it's a whole different ballgame. Much better, more professional and way more stable. Upgrading from bulletin 4.2.3 to Xenforo was the best thing I ver did for my forum.

And now I read that internal links do not get converted automatically?
Correct. None of the existing official importers, either built into 1.5 or offered as a separate Add-on for 2.X, does convert links. They will stay as-is.

Is that a fact?
Yes.

Is this also the same when converting a vB 4.2.3 forum to Xenforo 1.x?
Yes. It's the same for all imports with some minor exceptions if you import XenForo into XenForo and retain IDs.

@Kirby: Thank you.
does convert links. They will stay as-is.
That wouldn't be an issue, if they still would work and not generate a 404. Weren't you also a coder or support guy on VB in the old days? I remember your alias. I might be mistaken.

@Mr Lucky:
During the import no links get converted (why should they?) - but the redirect script works extremely well so no need to worry.
Why should they not? I don't understand this one, maybe because I'm not native English.
But if I link to another post on my forum, that's an internal link. Why it should get converted? Well... easy to answer, so that it will keep working, nobody has any benefit on a 404 message.

I don't know about the redirect scripts, what that mean and what it exactly does.

If it was my own forum, I wouldn't have doubted for a minute, I know Xenforo is much better and I left VB after IB took over, but I went to SMF since my forum isn't busy anymore, a paid software wasn't really profitable anymore.

So you say with the redirect scripts (the link from Mikethemix in this post? Which is still stated as beta) will fix all these issues?
Is this also for links to attachments? Because they use a ton of attachments on their forums.

And in general.
If they would order an installation for $ 50,- would Xenforo also take care of this redirect script intallation so all links will keep working?

If they would order an installation for $ 50,- would Xenforo also take care of this redirect script intallation so all links will keep working?
The installation service covers basic install of XF only.

It does not include importing, redirection, installing third party add-ons, set up, or customisation.

Thank you Brogan.

@Kirby: Ahaaa... I knew it. I was a licensed member from... end 1.x or early 2.x vBulletin until 3.8. Nice to see you're still around and giving great support! :)
Pity of those 404's. The SMF convertor did convert internal url's, maybe because they don't differ that much like the ones from Xenforo.
Since there is also no "fixing" support on this, good chance they won't choose for Xenforo.

However, nice to see you guys again. :D

I just see something.
The links on VB 4.2.3 are not like stated in the first post, they are like:
Code:
http://www.someforum.com/forums/showthread.php?16820-Aanpassingen-forum-2019&p=136016#post136016
Which seems more like here on Xenforo. These als won't be converted?

Since there is also no "fixing" support on this, good chance they won't choose for Xenforo.

The support for the redirect is excellent, it's not a 3rd party hack it is an actual xenforo script and you'll find the xenforo developers responding to support questions, so beta or not it is all good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom