Importing posts

Andre Fecteau

hello, i was wondering if i can import posts from IP.Board 3.1 without all of the files being on my local server? In my case it would be a backup of the database of all of the posts made on the forum. Is this possible or do you need to also have a backup of all of the users so that the database knows who made each post?

hello, i was wondering if i can import posts from IP.Board 3.1 without all of the files being on my local server? In my case it would be a backup of the database of all of the posts made on the forum. Is this possible or do you need to also have a backup of all of the users so that the database knows who made each post?

You will need to have a complete database of the Ipb forum that you want to convert to Xenforo and not a partial one.

You will need to have a complete database of the Ipb forum that you want to convert to Xenforo and not a partial one.
ok so i do have full access to MySQL, but under the "Configure Importer" (This is in the free XenForo Demo) there's an option that says "Path to IP.Board" and under it says that i need to point the importer to the path of IP.Board on the server. When i do switch over, IP.Board won't be on my server, is this an issue or will the importer still work?

ok so i do have full access to MySQL, but under the "Configure Importer" (This is in the free XenForo Demo) there's an option that says "Path to IP.Board" and under it says that i need to point the importer to the path of IP.Board on the server. When i do switch over, IP.Board won't be on my server, is this an issue or will the importer still work?

The easiest and handiest way would be for both forums being installed in the same server. Also it would be easier to install xenforo at the same database like your Ipb forum. But if you install it in another ddb, then make sure that the xenforo forum 's db user has full permssions/access to the db where your Ipb forum resides on. Hope it helps.

The easiest and handiest way would be for both forums being installed in the same server. Also it would be easier to install xenforo at the same database like your Ipb forum. But if you install it in another ddb, then make sure that the xenforo forum 's db user has full permssions/access to the db where your Ipb forum resides on. Hope it helps.

i won't be able to have that either, because of a complicated situation, all i would be getting is the database files.

i won't be able to have that either, because of a complicated situation, all i would be getting is the database files.

To be able to give you full and proper advice you will have to be more clear. Give us the whole details/situations. By database files did you mean a copy of the database? The more details you give the better it is :)

To be able to give you full and proper advice you will have to be more clear. Give us the whole details/situations. By database files did you mean a copy of the database? The more details you give the better it is :)

ok so whats happening is, the people that have our webhosting aren't associating with us anymore which means we need to find a new host and forum ect. so we are planning on buying XenForo and finding a new host. we will be getting a Backup of all databases associated with our current IP.Board.

ok so whats happening is, the people that have our webhosting aren't associating with us anymore which means we need to find a new host and forum ect. so we are planning on buying XenForo and finding a new host. we will be getting a Backup of all databases associated with our current IP.Board.

After you find a new host to install xenforo, transfer the Ipb db/files there as well (at the same host) and you can proceed with the conversion.

Andre ideally what you need along with the database is a zip/tar file containing the files in the forum directory. Then you can create a clone of the forum with the database files and the web files, and do the conversion on that. If you cannot get that and can only get a database backup, what I'd suggest you do is contact support here, Kier wrote the IPB importer (I think) so he is best to advise whether an import will be able to work on just a database copy. For example, it might not even run, or it might work but you will be without any avatars and attachments etc. To be honest, it's not a lot of use asking people in here unless they have direct experience of converting an IPB forum by using the database only.

Top Bottom