Important question re: importing vB user albums in the future.

TNCclubman

I need to make a crucial decision behind the direction of our largest website today. If we convert today to xenforo, will we be able to convert our user albums on their own sometime in the future once xenforo has user albums or will they forever remain in our outdated vB 3.8?

Can I get an official response dated this week since the announcement of EOL for vB3.8.

Thanks,

TC

Thanks for the heads up, but this site in particular is a major portal and Im not using a mod for that feature of the site. Its too crucial and has to be part of the core product. I hate rushing to decisions dammit!

Thanks for the heads up, but this site in particular is a major portal and Im not using a mod for that feature of the site. Its too crucial and has to be part of the core product. I hate rushing to decisions dammit!

I completely understand and there is no true rush.

vBulletin 3 will still release security updates, its only their development on new features and support which is coming to an end. If it's not broke, there is no reason for you to "need" to do anything this very moment.

You can wait a little and see where XenForo development continues. But I would advise not into purchasing vBulletin 4 (personal opinion). It's not worth all the trouble and you will be adding to your server load (as experienced by others).

will we be able to convert our user albums on their own sometime in the future once xenforo has user albums or will they forever remain in our outdated vB 3.8?
Ive already moved away from vB4 and have left my old DB in tact in hopes this will be possible.. So an answer to the specifics of this question would be beneficial to me also.. I Have no problems using a plugin (until something is built into the core) so i wouldn't mind hearing from the developers of any Album plugins as well.

Your best bet would be to not go near the final button in the import process and instead run all the cache/info rebuilding processes manually. This is exactly what I did on my forum.

Though either way what you want to do should not be a problem so long as xf_import_log remains intact. Then again if that table were to be truncated (it happened to me a couple of times, really need a better warning on this >.>) you'd know all about it since your old URLs would stop working.

What I did is already close the vB albums on our site, make the images available to our members and then allowed them to upload those to our integrated Photopost gallery. PP can also be integrated with XenForo. XenForo might add albums or even a gallery later on, and you can be sure they will have a Photopost importer by then.

Top Bottom