[important]Exploit!

Don't understand the focus on ssh while on the first page of the WHT thread a fairly reputable guy (apparently) posted

Its unlikely its ssh, found a box that had the file but ssh was disabled with a hw firewall.

Don't understand the focus on ssh while on the first page of the WHT thread a fairly reputable guy (apparently) posted

I think everything and anything is just being thrown in the air currently as no one knows even where this is happening from at this point let alone how to stop it. Several of the very best security admins in the industry have been non-stop on this for over 48 hours now and still have no clue. On the black hat side too, no info is anywhere to be found how this was found either.

I've noticed from reading the whole thread on WHT that no one has definitively answered whether password auth enabled in SSH appears to be the main culprit either. I've got 2 CentOS VPS that aren't affected by this.

So.... their "fix" is to add an IP block.

Any suggestions for people that don't have a static IP? Based on the fact it isn't mentioned, I guess key authentication doesn't fix the problem...?

I guess key authentication doesn't fix the problem...?
That still looks to be unclear. There is only one mention of someone not allowing password log in from that thread. All the others seem to be allowing password authentication to SSH.

In the end someone will find the cause although this is the first time I can remember where an exploit cause wasn't found within a few hours. Whoever did this must be very good at what they do.

I do know that if your server is affected by this the only real option is to re-install the OS. This is a root exploit and who knows what else they dropped on the box that hasn't been discovered yet..

So.... their "fix" is to add an IP block.

Any suggestions for people that don't have a static IP? Based on the fact it isn't mentioned, I guess key authentication doesn't fix the problem...?

Correct, it is still unknown yet. If you don't have a static IP, I'd say invest 5 bucks and get a VPN account and set it to that IP then just SSH via VPN in. Yes it's not 100% secure, but still safer then allowing full access. Also be sure to disable root login so SU has to be used.

Probably would make no difference if it's true that it doesn't spawn a shell (iirc)

Well, I have went ahead and taken as many precautions as I can. It appears I am not affected (Centos 6.3) and I have root login disabled. Just changed the port as well and setup only my two usernames as approved to login.

Well, I have went ahead and taken as many precautions as I can. It appears I am not affected (Centos 6.3) and I have root login disabled. Just changed the port as well and setup only my two usernames as approved to login.
Boxes with root log in disabled and on non-standard ports were also infected. It also looks like it has morphed as some are finding different files being dropped.

Boxes with root log in disabled and on non-standard ports were also infected. It also looks like it has morphed as some are finding different files being dropped.

Crazy. I don't run any control panel and keep everything updated, including kernel. Hopefully it misses me.

Sounds like people are rewriting the attack vectors.

Yeap, the news spread quickly so they are already renaming files and changing call home IPs.

The Mayan's warned on the apocalypse, but they forgot to mention the end of the internet was followed shortly behind.

Facebook was hacked earlier today, hasn't been confirmed or denied if it was in result of this or not.

Per the Reddit thread, they seemed to highlight this issue within exim: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=CVE-2012-5671

I have removed exim just in case. All my mail is sent via SMTP anyways.

If you want to remove Exim and keep crontab and the rest of the dependancies that it will try to remove, first install sendmail.

yum install sendmail

This will allow you to remove exim without removing crontab and cronie.

Make sure you know what you are doing when removing exim in the first place though.

Top Bottom