Import speed drops dramatically on Attachments

Baron

I'm migrating my fairly large forum to xenforo from a vb 3.8 database and everything goes fine until I get to the attachments import, then it's painfully slow. There are about 175,000 attachments in the database and the importer is processing those at about 20% per DAY! At this rate, it will take 5 days to import, which doesn't seem right. Perhaps my DB settings aren't optimized for handling these types of transactions?

My server is an Apple Xserve with 2 x 3.0 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors and 8GB of Ram

Attached is my MySQL variable output....

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Are the vB3 attachments stored in the database or file system? I would hope they are in the file system.

Increasing the batch size might help:

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...port-be-can-we-speed-it-up.35324/#post-401122

There is also the command line importer which would be ideal, but it's not officially supported and people have reported problems with it.

And as Slavik said, I/O could be a problem here. Importing 175k attachments is going to involve a lot of I/O. If you can improve your disk performance or even install a SSD you could benefit greatly.

Are the vB3 attachments stored in the database or file system? I would hope they are in the file system.

They are in the database :eek:

This import is a test run so do you think it would be a better strategy to first have vb 3.8 convert the attachments to the filesystem and then do the xf import?

Top Bottom