XF 2.1 Image uploading

If a user uploads an image from his phone, the original has a high resolution and can be large.
I have set Maximum attachment image dimensions to 640*640, which resizes the image automatically.
Does that mean that the attachment itself is resized, and much smaller in diskspace?

Also, has this behavior changed from 1.5 to 2.1?
I seem to recall that uploading directly from my phone worked fine before the upgrade, whereas now it seems that all images are too big.

Btw, the max upload size is currently limited to 2048 mb.
Where can I increase the limit? If resizing actually decreases the file size and the original image is not saved, I would be happy to increase the limit and let the resizing functionality do its thing as we are a small forum and bandwidth is not an issue for us.

Last edited:
I have set Maximum attachment image dimensions to 640*640, which resizes the image automatically.
Does that mean that the attachment itself is resized, and much smaller in diskspace?
Yes. Any uploaded images will be resized to fit within those dimensions and will take up considerably less disc space.

Also, has this behavior changed from 1.5 to 2.1?
I seem to recall that uploading directly from my phone worked fine before the upgrade, whereas now it seems that all images are too big
Not as far as I'm aware, it's the same behaviour as before. Do note that the resized images will need to be no larger than the "Maximum attachment file size" that you have set.

Thx. So that is working as expected then.
Can you tell me where I can increase the limit? I looked under options -> attachments but it prevents me from increasing it above 2048 MB
If I can increase that, my problem is solved because bandwidth is not a problem for us (we're only a small forum)

That is a server limit. You will need to get these increased by your we host (or you if you manage your own hosting):

upload_max_filesize
post_max_size

You'll see the current settings for these if you click on the PHP information in the ACP.

Top Bottom