Lack of interest Image permissions

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

---MAD---

This is a suggestion to address the core software with regards to having attachment permissions per file type. At the moment administrators are limited to either allowing a usergroup to download/access attachments or not. This causes problems especially with the case of viewing images (ie screenshots) that are attached. Below, is an example of the problem here on Xenforo.com which can off course in theory be applied to any other forum.

At the moment, as a non-customer, I am unable to view screenshots in a large format and can only view them as a thumbnail. This applies to the addon forum and possibly other forums. This is quite annoying as it would be nice to see what certain addons look like and how they have progressed, many administrators rely on addons to make their board more unique and can't or don't have the time to create their own work.

In my opinion this is very limiting, and very unhelpful especially in this example. I believe allowing people to view screenshots of addons may help motivate them to migrate/purchase xenforo as they may find an addon that works similar to (or better) than their current forum's setup.

I sent Brogan a message to find out what the reason behind this was and I was informed this was due to the fact all attachments are treated the same, whether they be .xml files or images. So obviously with the addon forum we are limited from downloading the products themselves, thereby also limited from viewing the screenshots.

If this limit was rectified it would obviously solve the problem for other communities out there who are being restricted by this.

I know the resource addon being produced may solve this however it would be nice if it was rectified for other forums who will not necessarily want to use the addon.

Your thoughts?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Did I post this in the feedback forum or did you move it? This is meant to be a suggestion not just to rectify the issue on the company forums but also the software itself..

As your comments relate to the XenForo website, specifically with regards to viewing add-ons, then it's a feedback issue.

As your comments relate to the XenForo website, specifically with regards to viewing add-ons, then it's a feedback issue.
Ah, well I was trying to use that to explain the problem. It was just an example of the sort of issues it can cause. I tried to find a suggestion thread that suggested to add a feature to allow different permissions for different file formats but could not find one.

In that case I'll move it back to suggestions, but it might be worth updating your first post slightly to make it clear this is a suggestion for the core software with regards to having attachment permissions per file type.

In that case I'll move it back to suggestions, but it might be worth updating your first post slightly to make it clear this is a suggestion for the core software with regards to having attachment permissions per file type.
Thanks, I have updated my first post to clarify that it is indeed a suggestion, as advised.

Top Bottom