I'm starting to feel for Brogan

DRE

Now that I'm comfortable with the software I can browse xenforo.com like a normal forum now instead of only focusing on how to do stuff. As I browse I'm seeing posters in a new light. This environment can be pretty tough for noobs and some coders and webmasters are mean as hell. Some even go so far as to troll each others threads. I mean I've probably done that too but I try not to.

Make no mistake, this ain't no suck up thread. Dude be locking up too many of my threads for that.

Just saying, most people here cannot do what he does without blowing their lid.

The venom that some people can spit against others in the forum world can just be unbelievable!

And one would tend to think that perhaps the administrator of a forums dedicated for forum administrators would have a teeny weeny bit more of insight into administration and moderation of forums, and the huge effort and investment of time it demands. Perhaps they themselves would be better off taking some time away from the keyboard and swallowing a few chill pills instead of advising so to everyone else on their forums and making personal attacks.

I have found Paul to always carry himself professionally around here, even in the face of disagreement with other members of the community. And I just can't see how one could ignore / forget the fact that he is a moderator on these forums...the spectacular technical support that he provides here is a bonus, an extra. It is what sets him apart from any other forum moderator / customer support personnel and I do not find it just to compare him with anyone else. His presence in the community is always reassuring and a source of support.

Not that you need to hear it Paul, but you do a fantastic job. I am just amazed to see how people are obsessed about voicing their opinion about road maps and development updates just because they are customers, yet don't bother to say a word of thanks or show some appreciation just because they are human beings.

The venom that some people can spit against others in the forum world can just be unbelievable!

And one would tend to think that perhaps the administrator of a forums dedicated for forum administrators would have a teeny weeny bit more of insight into administration and moderation of forums, and the huge effort and investment of time it demands. Perhaps they themselves would be better off taking some time away from the keyboard and swallowing a few chill pills instead of advising so to everyone else on their forums and making personal attacks.

I have found Paul to always carry himself professionally around here, even in the face of disagreement with other members of the community. And I just can't see how one could ignore / forget the fact that he is a moderator on these forums...the spectacular technical support that he provides here is a bonus, an extra. It is what sets him apart from any other forum moderator / customer support personnel and I do not find it just to compare him with anyone else. His presence in the community is always reassuring and a source of support.

Not that you need to hear it Paul, but you do a fantastic job. I am just amazed to see how people are obsessed about voicing their opinion about road maps and development updates just because they are customers, yet don't bother to say a word of thanks or show some appreciation just because they are human beings.
Just chuck it up to the fact that there's too many chiefs and not enough Indians. People wanna be a leader but don't even know how to follow. Gotta walk before you run. Shoot before you nuke. Dweebs wanna be the Steed. Herbs trying to be Superb, but coming off like birds. Just chirp, chirp chirping, nit pick pick picking and not enough flying.

If you know a product inside and out it shouldn't be that bad to provide quick and quality support like many of the users here do. :)
I'm not talking about that, I'm talking bout dealing with the recalcitrant members on here.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/recalcitrant
resisting authority or control; not obedient or compliant; refractory.
hard to deal with, manage, or operate.

^^^It's especially hard in his case because the site is really big and is full of know-it-alls.

many large forums are full of know-it-alls :)
I don't think it's to bad here, maybe I'm not seeing the post you are.
Brogan warns people in the thread, then they ignore him like he doesn't exist and keep doing the same thing they were warned about or they'll argue with him and do the same thing that he warned them about at the same time. We're talking bout other forum owners, who should be more understanding about following the rules of a forum. The know-it-all factor is even worse because of that compared to other forums.

Brogan warns people in the thread, then they ignore him like he doesn't exist and keep doing the same thing they were warned about or they'll argue with him and do the same thing that he warned them about at the same. We're talking bout other forum owners, who should be more understanding about following the rules of a forum. The know-it-all factor is even worse because of that compared to other forums.
Administrators do make the worst members, though, as they're used to doing whatever they want. Just like doctors make the worst patients... it's different when you're on the other end.

Administrators do make the worst members, though, as they're used to doing whatever they want. Just like doctors make the worst patients... it's different when you're on the other end.
I completely agree. If people are used to getting their way then they carry an attitude that doesn't jive well with others who are also used to getting their way. When Brogan says 'You guys are admin, you should be mature' I don't think he realizes that these people are like a bunch of alpha males in the same room, vying for superiority. Make no mistake though, most aren't Alpha males, just using an analogy lol. It's like a basic human instinct to disagree and argue after meeting an opposing viewpoint because you're used to getting your way.

As a doctor myself, I can attest to that. The moment a patient tells you he / she is a doctor, it's wise to brace yourself for the unexpected.

Brogan warns people in the thread, then they ignore him like he doesn't exist and keep doing the same thing they were warned about or they'll argue with him and do the same thing that he warned them about at the same time. We're talking bout other forum owners, who should be more understanding about following the rules of a forum. The know-it-all factor is even worse because of that compared to other forums.

Depends what a person is being warned not to do? If your being warned to stop harassing another member, fair enough! If your being warned to stop asking questions, why should I as a paying customer?

It's not that simple, all depends really?

If your being warned to stop harassing another member, fair enough! If your being warned to stop asking questions, why should I as a paying customer?

It's not that simple, all depends really?
It is that simple depending on the present circumstances.
Take it as it is or leave.

I already have taken it as it is since Brogan posted that last message saying no more questions, that they will all be locked.

So I don't need your advice, thanks!

I already have taken it as it is since Brogan posted that last message saying no more questions, that they will all be locked.

So I don't need your advice, thanks!
I don't know what thread your talking about. When I made this thread I was speaking in general, so I'm not specifically pointing out a single event. Dude locks up so many threads I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought I was taking a potshot at em.

I think Paul has inadvertently become a pseudo-target for the silent XenForo owners.

All of the recent threads have become circular and hostile so I personally think Paul's done the right thing in calling a truce for the time being. He's not gagging paying customers, there's simply no further information to satisfy the people asking for development roadmaps and updates, and so he's taken (IMHO) the reasonable tack of stopping *everyone* discussing it.

We all need to hear from the XenForo owners/developers - they are truly the *only* people who can tell us what is going on - and in the meantime Paul is just a caretaker doing his best to keep the peace.

I think he's doing a good job of it under considerable pressure that is neither wanted nor, in my opinion, warranted.

We've quite simply got to wait and see.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I think Paul has inadvertently become a pseudo-target for the silent XenForo owners.

All of the recent threads have become circular and hostile so I personally think Paul's done the right thing in calling a truce for the time being. He's not gagging paying customers, there's simply no further information to satisfy the people asking for development roadmaps and updates, and so he's taken (IMHO) the reasonable tack of stopping *everyone* discussing it.

We all need to hear from the XenForo owners/developers - they are truly the *only* people who can tell us what is going on - and in the meantime Paul is just a caretaker doing his best to keep the peace.

I think he's doing a good job of it under considerable pressure that is neither wanted nor, in my opinion, warranted.

We've quite simply got to wait and see.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

From what I see nobody is blaming Brogan for No XenForo 1.2 News being posted, I've said myself before he's a bit of a "Piggy in the Middle" really and can understand him getting cheesed off with it all. Feeling like no matter what he does, he just can't win either way because you've got a split community over it. There's no way "he can ever please both sides", he's in a no win situation because of it.

As you said, we'll just have to wait now and see what happens? :)

Top Bottom