I'm done using Xenforo for any services... So many scammers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to read up on licencing @Marian-Sebastian

You can't do what you've done, download and use any image you like just because a browser lets you. If there was more at stake you'd be opening yourself up to litigation.

Also, some of these large stock asset and stock image sites are very aggressive in pursuing website owners who they believe haven't licensed things correctly. They scan the web for their images and are highly litigious. The fees can be astronomical too, they may try to claim thousands of dollars for one image if they feel you've breached the licence.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You need to read up on licencing @Marian-Sebastian

You can't do what you've done, download and use any image you like just because a browser lets you. If there was more at stake you'd be opening yourself up to litigation.

Also, some of these large stock asset and stock image sites are very aggressive in pursuing website owners who they believe haven't licensed things correctly. They scan the web for their images and are highly litigious. The fees can be astronomical too, they may try to claim thousands of dollars for one image if they feel you've breached the licence.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Having had some old work I did get leased to one of those companies, and then had them attempt to sue me over it years ago... Yeah they are :).

Most of them are pretty terrible in their own right, and honestly the usage of stock assets outside of like... stock photography is generally a bad practice.

Most of them are pretty terrible in their own right, and honestly the usage of stock assets outside of like... stock photography is generally a bad practice.

Yeah, most are terrible, but the usage of stock assets has exploded the last few years with the growth of the creator economy and some good ones are emerging, especially what with the continued growth of YouTube and freelancing, and for many it does allow for some incredible creations and new types of content for much more affordable pricing that just wasn't achievable before for the price.

I use stock video, stock audio, stock icons, stock photos, stock graphics, stock vfx, the lot. There's no way I could do some of the stuff I do for the price without access to affordable priced licenced assets like these.

As for a logo for $30, at that price you have to expect it's something premade, sourced and customised to the brief. You'd be hard pressed to get anyone designing something from scratch for that price, and if you do it's probably someone from a low cost of living country on fiverr and they're still using stock assets as it's not worth their time otherwise.

Yeah, most are terrible, but the usage of stock assets has exploded the last few years with the growth of the creator economy and some good ones are emerging, especially what with the continued growth of YouTube and freelancing, and for many it does allow for some incredible creations and new types of content for much more affordable pricing that just wasn't achievable before for the price.

I use stock video, stock audio, stock icons, stock photos, stock graphics, stock vfx, the lot. There's no way I could do some of the stuff I do for the price without access to affordable priced licenced assets like these.

As for a logo for $30, at that price you have to expect it's something premade, sourced and customised to the brief. You'd be hard pressed to get anyone designing something from scratch for that price, and if you do it's probably someone from a low cost of living country on fiverr and they're still using stock assets as it's not worth their time otherwise.
The emerging ones aren't bad, as they're usually made to compete against the major ones that are pretty scummy.

As much as I hate places like Fiverr, I had to use them for one project and the logo I got was actually very high quality for the amount I paid. Still won't use Fiverr if I don't have to, but I do send work to the guy who did my logo because he was actually great to work with.

As much as I hate places like Fiverr, I had to use them for one project and the logo I got was actually very high quality for the amount I paid. Still won't use Fiverr if I don't have to, but I do send work to the guy who did my logo because he was actually great to work with.

Yeah, I don't actually hate fiverr either. I've had great results from there too for certain types of work, but it depends what you're after and the type of work.

I've had amazing results from some voiceover work. Stuff that if you provide a clear brief and doesn't take the creator long, they can still earn decent money for work that doesn't take too long to execute.

I've had great results from artists converting complex raster images to vector illustration. Again, skilled people that can estimate the time that it takes to do the job before commencing quite easily.

Logo design I find is a frequently much more tough though, especially on a tight budget. It's so subjective, people want multiple ideas and revisions. It takes a huge amount of skill and creativity IMO to be able to flesh out a logo from scratch from a brief. Even properly customising and tailoring a quality stock asset could take hours. $30 doesn't get you a lot of bespoke design no matter who you hire.

Last edited:
Somebody once said to me
Don't tell me that you never/ever download a picture from Google because I won't believe you.
I think that isn't so relevant, I'm sure I have, but, but if it was to use on my site as a logo then I would either use something original or licensed for that use. One issue with forums is that it's very hard to stop people posting images they have downloaded without permission, we do our best in that case, but it's not always possible to stop everything. But again, a logo is a very different thing.

NB: while on the subject I also have a blanket MCPS licence for limited digital music tracks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom