I'm done using Xenforo for any services... So many scammers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like no one understand that... I CLICK THE PICK AND I DOWNLOAD IT, nobody, no page ask me to pay for downloading that pic.
I don't say that Xyphien don't pay for those assets to use them... but that particular dog shape logo, you can have it for free on Google if you find it!
My page is still in testing, that dog shape logo... with what I add and make a "so-called" logo, was on my page for 12 hours... It's not there any more. @Xyphien, and contacting my hosting provider.... what for? For a pic that I download it from Google?

You're confusing your ability to download an image with the license to use it. You don't have a license to you it just because you can download it.

You're confusing your ability to download an image with the license to use it. You don't have a license to you it just because you can download it.
I always limit image searches on Google to Creative Commons Licenses if I am planning to actually use the image for something for just this reason. I am an artist myself (a writer) so I want to respect other artists' rights.

Good one... but what if you pay 33% upfront for that apple, you see that apple is not good... go to dumping place... where people dump things... get an apple for free from there... add some topping on it and test that apple for half day, and after you dump it. Is that to make sense?
I have a collection of $10k+ worth of typography, and I know for a fact I can get all of those for free on various sites on Google... I don't do that as I do not own a license.

Google Image search just shows you results, it does not show you whether or not you can use them unless you restrict the license during search. That particular image is part of (apparently various) asset bundles that have to be paid for; whether or not he did enough work to get paid for what he offered you doesn't matter, it's the fact that you've now decided to just take that asset from Google and use it yourself without a license while also stiffing him of $20.

The matter of payment is between you and him to work out. The issue of you continuing to use the asset, after he had given you the same asset, is a different issue.

Do you mean YOUR company or the company YOU WORK FOR ?
Like I said in my previous post, although I found the rate a bit high, but maybe I'm wrong about this, it doesn't excuse or justify stealing your work.
Xyphien LLC, It's my own company. So the assets and everything I pay out of pocket for monthly.

I just found this real great avatar on the internet, think I will download and use it here, what do you guys think?

View attachment 259113
It's on google, so it must be free to steal

Xyphien LLC, It's my own company. So the assets and everything I pay out of pocket for monthly.

It's on google, so it must be free to steal
Screenshot(1).png

That dog shape is on Google too and you can have it for free, nobody will ask for a licence or something to pay for it.

@Marian-Sebastian if I were you, I'd simply pay the other $20 and chalk this up as a learning lesson. Even though Xyphien is using a pre-made asset, they're still bundling a logo package for you and making tweaks (to the font) per your request. You probably won't find anyone who will create you something for scratch for $30 to that quality of logo shown.

As for @Xyphien, your thread promoting your logo service states the user will get an "extremely unique" logo. There's nothing extremely unique about a logo that is on potentially hundreds or thousands of sites.

Not justifying what Marian-Sebastian did, but I can definitely see how someone could be frustrated over that. With your pricing point, I'd almost involve the user in the picking process from this "site you have a contract with" and make it as transparent as possible that you can edit colors and adjust the typography.

Anyhow, best of luck to both of you, hopefully it gets resolved :).

@Marian-Sebastian if I were you, I'd simply pay the other $20 and chalk this up as a learning lesson. Even though Xyphien is using a pre-made asset, they're still bundling a logo package for you and making tweaks (to the font) per your request. You probably won't find anyone who will create you something for scratch for $30 to that quality of logo shown.

As for @Xyphien, your thread promoting your logo service states the user will get an "extremely unique" logo. There's nothing extremely unique about a logo that is on potentially hundreds or thousands of sites.

Not justifying what Marian-Sebastian did, but I can definitely see how someone could be frustrated over that. With your pricing point, I'd almost involve the user in the picking process from this "site you have a contract with" and make it as transparent as possible that you can edit colors and adjust the typography.

Anyhow, best of luck to both of you, hopefully it gets resolved :).

@Russ, if first he would come to me and talk with me about the situation... I am a reasonable lad, and probably pay the rest of the money... but he posted this on here... calling me a scammer, which I'm not, I pay for every services that I use on my website... furthermore... he sent me a private message telling me that he contact my hosting provider (to close my page I suppose)... blow my mind. I wasn't online like half of the day and when I come, I start reading about all this, shame. That's my frustration. Nothing else...

Chill Reaction GIF

@Russ, if first he would come to me and talk with me about the situation... I am a reasonable lad, and probably pay the rest of the money... but he posted this on here... calling me a scammer, which I'm not, I pay for every services that I use on my website... furthermore... he sent me a private message telling me that he contact my hosting provider (to close my page I suppose)... blow my mind. I wasn't online like half of the day and when I come, I start reading about all this, shame. That's my frustration. Nothing else...
In case you're still in any sort of doubt, you are absolutely in the wrong regarding just taking an image of google and using it. Images (all images) are copyrighted to their owner/creator unless specified otherwise. You don't have the right to use that image, irregardless of where you got it from or how you obtained it.

Don't tell me that you never/ever download a picture from Google because I won't believe you.
You're not wrong. There's probably hundreds, maybe even thousands, of images here on this very forum that were used without anyone (including me) bothering to investigate the legality of using them - so there is maybe a bit too much smug self-righteousness in some of the comments here - but it's probably not a good idea to do so for your site logo. People, including copyright holders, tend to be a little more lenient with images used in, say, a one-off post meant to be humorous, and you using them to officially promote your website, which you might be making money off of.

@Marian-Sebastian
Please mind that you can get a freepik premium license here for $14.99:
This gives you access to a version without watermark and the right to use the exact logo sold on freepik:

If you want to use the logo as provided by @Xyphien and also reward him for searching, finding and adding text to the logo, then you can pay the remaining $20.

You're not wrong. There's probably hundreds, maybe even thousands, of images here on this very forum that were used without anyone (including me) bothering to investigate the legality of using them - so there is maybe a bit too much smug self-righteousness in some of the comments here - but it's probably not a good idea to do so for your site logo. People, including copyright holders, tend to be a little more lenient with images used in, say, a one-off post meant to be humorous, and you using them to officially promote your website, which you might be making money off of.

It's a combination of several things, not just the use of a license.

I would not say that OP got scammed out of a service; the service was not what someone was lead to believe, so they decided to not use it. They also may have believed it is a free image, but it has been said it is a paid one and that it requires a license, and that is a bit different from what lead to them cancelling the service.

In this particular instance, both people are in the wrong. OP because he is not clear about what his service entails, and because it is misleading unless it is clearly defined, and Marian-Sebastian because they did something that would have been considered scamming if it were any other situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom