IIS 10 vs NGINX for XenForo

Emerald™

Hey,

Setting up a new forum, hopefully it will become large. Which webserver do you guy's use / recommend. I currently already have the required licenses for IIS 10 just not sure about compatibility.

More people use a Linux based system, which knocks IIS out of the running on it. ;)
I personally prefer NGINX or LightSpeed.

NGINX of course because it's lightweight, secure and just works really well.
I don't think you can say that about IIS :LOL:

Been using IIS since Windows 2003. No problems at all. It works well and is fast. People tend to go with the fad and the latest fad is nginx. The only thing nginx has over IIS is cost.

Since you already have the license then use it. You'll be happy with it.

The main thing I hate about IIS is... Windows. I really don't like dealing with windows file permissions compared to linux. I used IIS back on 9x and as recently as Server 2003, might have done it on 08 I can't really remember. We have an 08 server that doesn't do hosting at this point.

I use Litespeed for personal and work. Used it for years now and I love it, incredibly fast and the best server imo for PHP applications. Easy to configure and manage and supports bleeding edge HTTP protocols like HTTP/2 and even QUIC now.

I use Litespeed for personal and work. Used it for years now and I love it, incredibly fast and the best server imo for PHP applications. Easy to configure and manage and supports bleeding edge HTTP protocols like HTTP/2 and even QUIC now.
Litespeed looks great, I would love to try it but at $65 a month for the 4 CPU version it probably won't happen. I hope they bring QUIC to NGINX somewhere in the near future.

Litespeed looks great, I would love to try it but at $65 a month for the 4 CPU version it probably won't happen. I hope they bring QUIC to NGINX somewhere in the near future.
Keep in mind that you don't match the license of LSWS to the number of cores available on your server/vps/hypervisor. The 4 CPU version means it will run the LSWS process on 4 of your CPUs, which is massive overkill for most uses.

4-CPU license blurb:
Generally recommended for dedicated servers with up to 32 cores.

For most uses (depending on your server and concurrent connection traffic), the VPS or 1-CPU license are perfectly fine.

Top Bottom