Ignoring a member should totally ignore their existence

Lisa

When I ignore a member, the assumption is that I won't get any indication that they exist. Obviously this isn't the case since we have to put up with last post being by "ignored member" instead of it just not showing as having a last post, which is irritating enough, but I would like to suggest that when you ignore something they, at least, don't show up in the Online Now box either.

Personally every part of their existence should be eradicated for the member ignoring them - when I ignore someone it's because I don't want to even be reminded we're sharing the same internet space or that they exist :D.. but I'll settle for them not showing up in the Online Now box, please :love:

Upvote 32
What happens for example when the ignored member goes back and forth with member(s) you don't ignore in a thread? Continuity would be ruined and confusion could ensue if all you see are responses to ghost(s).

What happens for example when the ignored member goes back and forth with member(s) you don't ignore? Continuity would be ruined and confusion could ensue if all you see are responses to ghost(s).
Common sense would tell you that they're not having a psychotic break and that they're likely responding to someone you're ignoring :)

There should be two options.
One option, is the current ignore system.
While a 'stronger ignore' to completely ignore their existence altogether.

Possibly what is being suggest by 'Stronger ignore' but a 'block user' addition would be nice.

This add-on has some good features: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/wmtech-user-block-users.3996/

"A user blocking another user is totally hidden towards the blocked user and the blocked user is also totally hidden from the blocking user. This includes all content they may have created at your forum."

I also think some options saying what type of content you want to ignore would be useful. A popular thread started by an ignored user is easy to miss. Being able to say "I want to ignore posts but not threads started by this user" would solve this. You could extend this to profile posts, conversations etc.

Last edited:
No more addons, thanks.
This kind of things should be core.
[...]Personally every part of their existence should be eradicated for the member ignoring them - when I ignore someone it's because I don't want to even be reminded we're sharing the same internet space or that they exist [...]
And how about that member/s you ignore but these member/s are ALWAYS clicking the "Like" button, all the time, thousand in thousand of messages, for all the board. you have to see everywhere: theignoredtroll like this. :sick:
And this information is important to me? Seriously? Is really annoying, because I simply don't care anything about theignoredtroll
This should be fixed. not "improved" because IMO this is like a bug.

What do you want to see in place of 'last post by ignored member'? The fact is that the last post in that node was made by a member you ignore. To get the second to last post would be extra queries, and there's no guarantee you're not ignoring that member as well. Therefore you'd have to do potentially an infinite loop that could strain your database server.

The same thing loosely applies to likes, although that ones not as big of a deal. You could just remove the username from the list "user 1 (ignored), user 2, user 3 and 4 others like this post", just show "user 2, user 3, and 4 others.." but that leads to a lot of conditionals and you could end up with some weird results when people ignore multiple people that liked the post.

Our current platform has Wooden Crate, Tinted Glass & Lead Box as degrees of ignore. Couldn't tell you exactly what each does as there's no help file within the software & the support forum has now closed & it's not something widely used. We have a Global Ignore feature which is occassionally useful as it makes a member invisible to all (except guests/logged out members which isn't so useful)

I wonder what the logic is to display ignored members in members online, alerts for replies and likes from the ignored member, showing replies to your threads from ignored members. It seems rather pointless to me to have an ignore function that keeps showing you the member.

There are a lot of suggestion threads about the various aspects of this.

I can easily "ignore" the ignored member links in a thread or even in the online members list.

But where I am finding it misleading is when I ignore a member who starts a thread. Any reply to that thread makes the forum (in the node listing) show that it has new messages. So when I go to browse that forum, I see there are no messages with new posts, and I automatically know it was that one thread being replied to.

I never use the New Posts feature when "patrolling" the forums since I like to look in on each forum throughout the day, as it gives me ideas on activity, trends, etc. It's not so much an issue with forums that see a lot of traffic, but a lower-traffic forum makes this stand out.

It's not a deal breaker. Just a very minor annoyance.

(By extension, the forum behaves the same way if I use the @ThemeHouse Ignore More add-on. A thread I'll ignore will still indicate that the forum has new posts.)

Top Bottom