• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Ignore What's New by Waindigo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon W

Description:

This add-on displays a list of forums on the Accounts page that a user has permissions to access, and allows them to select the ones they DON'T want to see in What's New. (Especially handy for those off-topic forums that can generate a lot of chatter and fill up What's New with content that isn't related to the site!).

More information and download:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/ignore-whats-new-by-waindigo.139/

Thanks for making the add-on Jon - just a heads-up though - it won't affect anyone else at the moment - but the name change has meant that I couldn't upgrade from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 using the built-in add-on upgrade facility. I've done it manually by renaming the table and reinstalling and naming it back again, as it's quite nice to have it saying "What's New" on your account page (and I hadn't noticed it in 1.0.2 ... (y)).

I'm just going to head off now an announce it properly on CycleChat ... :D

Thanks,
Shaun :D

Oh, and the title of the thread should possibly be changed to "Ignore selected forums in What's New" as at the moment it looks like an add-on to ignore the whole of What's New. (y)

I think people might like the option to easily see the "raw" what's new listing as well.
The filtered "what's new" should also be somehow labelled as such.
You might want to put a NOTICE on the What's New listing ... telling people about this new feature :)

I think people might like the option to easily see the "raw" what's new listing as well.
The filtered "what's new" should also be somehow labelled as such.
You might want to put a NOTICE on the What's New listing ... telling people about this new feature :)

This is for people to individually select what they want to appear on their What's New list - it's not a global thing, it's a method of personally tailoring What's New to those few forums that are of key interest ... so, in effect, they already know that it is not a "complete" What's New listing. (y)

I wanted it for CycleChat because we have two non-cycling forums that are quite busy, but some people prefer a more "pure" cycling focused experience so this helps them filter out the parts of the site they don't really have much interest in.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Thanks for all your feedback.

Just a quick note to say that I am a commercial developer, so any new feature requests will have to be paid for, either through one or more members paying for further development costs, through releasing a separate paid version of the add-on (a free version will always be available for non-commercial use), or through commercial users paying to licence the add-on (unless I'm feeling particularly generous one day!). My prices are competitive though, so please message me to discuss if you are interested.

Also, it might be worthwhile for you to post whether or not you would be willing to contribute in any of the above ways when you make/comment on a feature request.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy the add-on.

found a conflict w/ the read PC addon. when this & that are installed the user menu drop down has all the links in the left column & only what's new in the right. i've included before & after screen shots. with either your addon or the read PC addon off it looks perfect.

very nice addon, thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.webp
    Screenshot_1.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2.webp
    Screenshot_2.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 19
found a conflict w/ the read PC addon. when this & that are installed the user menu drop down has all the links in the left column & only what's new in the right. i've included before & after screen shots. with either your addon or the read PC addon off it looks perfect.

What does it look like with read PC add-on installed and Ignore What's New add-on disabled?

very nice addon, thanks
It's because of a "false" template in this add-on
Code:
<ul class="blockLinksList">
    <li><a href="{xen:link account/whats-new}">{xen:phrase whats_new}</a></li>
</ul>

changing it to
Code:
should fix this:)

Explantation (to not cause another drama like in an other thread
badteeth.gif
)

The content in navigation_visitor_tab_links2 is:
Code:
<xen:hook name="navigation_visitor_tab_links2">
                    <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.enableNewsFeed}"><li><a href="{xen:link account/news-feed}">{xen:phrase your_news_feed}</a></li></xen:if>
                    <li><a href="{xen:link account/alerts}">{xen:phrase your_alerts}</a></li>
                    <li><a href="{xen:link watched/threads}">{xen:phrase watched_threads}</a></li>
                    <li><a href="{xen:link account/likes}">{xen:phrase likes_youve_received}</a></li>
                    <li><a href="{xen:link search/member, '', 'user_id={$visitor.user_id}'}">{xen:phrase your_content}</a></li>
                    <li><a href="{xen:link account/following}">{xen:phrase people_you_follow}</a></li>
                    <li><a href="{xen:link account/ignored}">{xen:phrase people_you_ignore}</a></li>
                    <xen:if is="{$xenCache.userUpgradeCount}"><li><a href="{xen:link account/upgrades}">{xen:phrase account_upgrades}</a></li></xen:if>
                </xen:hook>

Which means, that you don't need another ul list here...
Just include the <li>link</li> :)

hope this helps

Looks cool. One request (if it can't do it already) is an admin set list of forums that CANNOT be excluded. For instance, I have an Announcements forum that I don't want people to exclude. I don't want staff members excluding staff forums, etc.

I handle this with a template edit. I don't know if it's out of school to post since this is a paid addon or not but I simple added "disabled" to the checkboxes for the forums node IDs that I wouldn't want people to ignore. if it's OK to post with the addon creator, I'll post it.

Thanks. I will fix it now.

Fixed now. For upgrade from 1.03 to 1.04, just upgrade through the Admin CP with the new addon-Waindigo_IgnoreWhatsNew.xml file as there are no new/edited files to upload.

I handle this with a template edit. I don't know if it's out of school to post since this is a paid addon or not but I simple added "disabled" to the checkboxes for the forums node IDs that I wouldn't want people to ignore. if it's OK to post with the addon creator, I'll post it.

More than happy for you to post, although a more elegant solution is on it's way soon.

It's because of a "false" template in this add-on
Code:
<ul class="blockLinksList">
</ul>

changing it to
Code:
should fix this:)

it fixed the column issue but it's still not perfect. there should be a break between the 2 items & when you mouse over either they are highlighted together

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.webp
    Screenshot_3.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 17
More than happy for you to post, although a more elegant solution is on it's way soon.

if you would like to block certain forums from being able to be disabled

in template "waindigo_account_ignore_whats_new" change this line
Code:
<xen:if is="{$node.node_type_id} != 'Category'">

to this line & edit the node ID numbers X, Y, Z to the numbers you want blocked.
Code:
<xen:if is="{$node.node_type_id} != 'Category' AND !in_array({$node.node_id}, array(X, Y, Z))">

this will disable those check boxes just like category boxes are.

never trust userdata;)
That's not secure, people can change this with firebug or via js console!

The only secure way is to do this on the serverside with php!

never trust userdata;)
That's not secure, people can change this with firebug or via js console!

The only secure way is to do this on the serverside with php!
I understand but assumed it would be good enough for this addon.

by the way, does this only effect the "What's New" page? seems like it should hit the "Recent Activity" page too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom