1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If xenForo does not work out, can data be exported back to VB 4.2?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by David Copeland, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Question:

If xenForo does not work out, can data be exported back to VB 4.2?

2. Razasharp

Razasharp Well-Known Member

Does vB4 have a Xenforo importer? If so I don't see why not - but your urls will probably change.
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You'll need to ask vBulletin and see if they have an importer for XenForo. XenForo doesn't provide exports to other software.
  4. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

You need to define "does not work out" clearly
  5. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Hi David,

Your going to love Xenforo. I also switched in March of 2013 from vB 4.1.2 and so glad that I have. My community immediately liked Xenforo a lot.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Stormlilly likes this.
  6. Ryan_

Ryan_ Active Member

On the 0% chance that you don't like XenForo or that it doesn't suit your needs or is everything you've ever dreamed of... you'd have to ask vBulletin if they have an importer for XenForo. (y)
  7. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

We haven't had anyone complain that they miss vB once they discovered where all of their favorite features were.
  8. Khaleal

Khaleal Active Member

I think the best choice is to take a complete backup before you convert. Setup xenForo and use it for a while and see how it works. If you didn't like it you can restore the backup and convert the links back to vBulletin 4 structure. The total loss is the number of posts that were posted after the conversation. For small boards I think this is the best option.
  9. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

We set up a test forum with the Xenforo with an old copy of our database for us to both test but to let the community get used to it before we made the change. That made the transition much easier and we got them to help with the beta testing too...
    CyclingTribe likes this.
  10. Khaleal

Khaleal Active Member

Setting up a test forum won't give you the ability to test SEO and revenue impact. The only way to know if a software is doing well is to examine it in a real production environment.
  11. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

true. We had a couple of bumps with Adsense revenue that I didn't see until we had been up for a week or so. The SEO part of it was pretty incredible in terms of how much better it was almost immediately.
    Khaleal likes this.
  12. We are on our own dedicated server. Am I correct in thinking we could install the full version, including XenForo Resource Manager and XenForo Enhanced Search, take it live, as some of our members to try it out . . . and if it works out, merge the VBulletin past posts and threads into the XenForo forum?

Below are some of our stats that we currently have:

Members 46,550
    Posts 509,887
    Threads 32,686
    Dedicated Server Type: Linux
    Web Server: Apache (cgi-fcgi)
    PHP: 5.3.10
    PHP Max Post Size: 200.00 MB
    PHP Maximum Upload Size: 100.00 MB
    PHP Memory Limit: 1.00 GB
    MySQL Version: 5.1.70-cll
    MySQL Packet Size: 32.00 MB
    Data Usage: 831.61 MB
    Index Usage: 344.98 MB
    Attachment Usage: 8.08 MB
    Profile Picture Usage: 251.9 KB

13. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You could do that but you wouldn't be able to retain existing IDs due to the new content.

Most people set up a test site, invite some of the members to try it out while keeping the existing site running and then convert into a clean installation.
    0ptima and The Forum Heroes like this.
  14. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

If you're going to move to xenForo, and you think things will go bad, my suggestion is to keep the old vB4 instance in the background. That way, when you think things aren't working out as you envision, you can just swap back to normal.

In short: Don't delete your current vB4 files/database - keep it as backup, and then when you want to go live with xenForo; you can import the database and do whatever. Then if you think things aren't going as you envision: Swap back. You have the backup.