If I add default permissions to the moderator group, forum-specific moderators get them on all forum

bottiger

I've ran into a problem with permissions.

I set my default moderator permissions so they have all the moderator options except hard delete. When I added my first forum-specific moderators. I noticed they were able to edit threads in other forums!

This is not what I wanted, so I tried unchecking Add Moderator to User Groups: Moderating and checking all the permissions I wanted them to have below. Unfortunately when I did this, they stopped being about to moderate even the forum they were assigned to!

Right now I am having it do what I want by:
  • Clearing the moderator group of all default permissions
  • Checking Add Moderator to User Groups: Moderating
  • Checking all the permissions except hard delete in Edit Moderator.
Is there a better solution?

Right now I am having it do what I want by:
  • Clearing the moderator group of all default permissions
  • Checking Add Moderator to User Groups: Moderating
  • Checking all the permissions except hard delete in Edit Moderator.
Is there a better solution?

That is correct. Assigning mod permissions to groups will affect all forums which isn't what you want.

It isn't necessary to add your forum moderators to a usergroup. But it can be convenient if you need to grant special permissions to your moderators, such as access to a private forum.

That is correct. Assigning mod permissions to groups will affect all forums which isn't what you want.

It isn't necessary to add your forum moderators to a usergroup. But it can be convenient if you need to grant special permissions to your moderators, such as access to a private forum.

When I tried that, my moderators couldn't moderate even the forum they were assigned to when I checked every single option in Edit Moderator. That is really strange to me.

Things like this can take much time to resolve. Any interest in signing up for a demo and setting up permission on the demo like you have on your forum?

Then you and Jake could have access to the same admin login. Or even other people... Without sharing any information or login credentials of your forum.

I am unable to log in using admin, demo.

I suspect the password has been changed.

The way to set up mod permissions is to give the minimum permission set to the Moderating group that you want all moderators to have across the whole board.
For example I have things like view IP address, bypass flood check, custom user title, etc.

Then when you create a content/forum moderator, assign the specific permissions for that forum.

I am unable to log in using admin, demo.

I suspect the password has been changed.

The way to set up mod permissions is to give the minimum permission set to the Moderating group that you want all moderators to have across the whole board.
For example I have things like view IP address, bypass flood check, custom user title, etc.

Then when you create a content/forum moderator, assign the specific permissions for that forum.

Oh sorry, I meant the password is admin.

I have just done the following:

Reset most of the Moderating user group permissions to Not Set (No)
Made bob a Moderator and set all permissions for the foo forum
Added Bob to the Moderating user group

This is exactly how I have my forum set up and I have just tested it all works fine using the bob log in.

I see. It is a bit confusing.

Bob the user and Bob the Moderator have 2 different 'additional usergroups' as shown here:
untitled.webp
I've been doing some testing on this account and it seems Bob can be set up so he is not in the moderating group as a user, which means he will not receive the additional permissions of being in the Moderating Group on the entire site:
untitled3.webp

But when Bob is added as a forum moderator (1 forum, not global), he can be put into the moderating group i.e. Moderator Bob: has Moderating as an additional usergroup.

untitled2.webp

But after that, Bob the User is then automatically placed in the Moderating Usergroup, and has all the permissions of the Moderating User group across the entire site.

untitled4.webp

But..... Bob the user can be removed from the Moderating User group explicitly, after he is made moderator of that 1 forum, resulting in him having only the powers granted to him explicitly as listed under Bob the Moderator. So this is the result:

untitled2.webp untitled3.webp

And after that, then the Moderating Group permissions which apply across the entire site are ignored, because he is not in that group as a user.
Presumably the reason to have him be able to be in the Moderating additional usergroup as Bob the moderator, is to quickly set him up to see whatever private forums (staff forums) all staff should see.

Moderating User group permissions apply site wide if Bob the User has Moderating as an additional User Group, except in the forum where bob is the forum moderator - then those permissions need to be explicitly set.

Think I will leave my Moderating Usergroup as Not Set (no) to keep things simple..

Top Bottom