If a modification adds a table to the database...

Dean

in memoriam
If a modification for xf (or any script) adds a table to the database, and xf is updated, would that additional database table be ignored during upgrades and leave the data intact?

Sorry for such a basic question, just curious how these things are normally done.

Here's the thing, wordpress makes upgrades an painless, easy process - even though that we're using a skin or theme that isn't a WP standard. Meaning I can just install a skin, and not worry about upgrades later. It just seamlessly upgrades without me worrying about upgrading the skins themselves to be compatible with the said upgrade..
This works because they have a WordPress-hosted repository of every theme that they can check against and pull from for updates. vBulletin.org doesn't work like this, so really there's no way they could automatically update skins even if they wanted to. :)

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you make modifications to a WordPress theme, and then update it, you'll lose your modifications (unless you make a new child theme). :)

Hm. It feels as if nothing is happening between the skins themselves, and wordpress upgrades. Each time I upgrade the 'backend' of wordpress, I don't have to go through the templates system and revert it or 'upgrade' the skin itself. That was what I was saying.

The only time I had to upgrade a skin, it was when 3.0.0 came out, and a skin author upgraded and modified his own skin....

Hm. It feels as if nothing is happening between the skins themselves, and wordpress upgrades. Each time I upgrade the 'backend' of wordpress, I don't have to go through the templates system and revert it or 'upgrade' the skin itself. That was what I was saying.

The only time I had to upgrade a skin, it was when 3.0.0 came out, and a skin author upgraded and modified his own skin....
In that case, it's just good design of the core WordPress application such that template or theme updates are rarely required (good legacy support). Hopefully XenForo can accomplish this as well. :)

Top Bottom