I was wondering how many driving lesson people normally have...

Funny and scary stories? On my test a driver of a parked car threw her door open and I had to execute a successful emergency stop. On the same test a learner driver with instructor reversed out of a side road into my path and again I had to do an emergency stop. A mile up the road I encountered a mounted policeman who appeared to have lost control of his horse. Emergency stop number three. At this point my examiner turned to me and said 'Bu**ger this, that's good enough, you've passed your test' :)
That made me laugh. That's some pot luck right there lol xD

I would love to be able to drive with a family member next to me but there's only 4 people that have a license and live in the same area as me. My grandparents would probably refuse to come out with me, I would never take my stepdad because he's an ass, and finally my mum is too busy to be able to help out. So unfortunately, unless I can find someone that would be willing, I'm forced to stick to just having lessons. My driving instructor hinted that it might take me just 20 lessons to be good enough to pass the test.

That made me laugh. That's some pot luck right there lol xD

I would love to be able to drive with a family member next to me but there's only 4 people that have a license and live in the same area as me. My grandparents would probably refuse to come out with me, I would never take my stepdad because he's an ass, and finally my mum is too busy to be able to help out. So unfortunately, unless I can find someone that would be willing, I'm forced to stick to just having lessons. My driving instructor hinted that it might take me just 20 lessons to be good enough to pass the test.
Seeings as you offered to bye my knickers mate I'll come sit by you. Do you have a car or should we use mine?

I had 40 hours in the car before I passed my test in February at the second attempt. I think I had something like 25 hours with one instructor, failed my test on things that I felt hadn't been taught properly then moved to another instructor who was a lot better. I had the joy of doing most of my lessons with the second guy either at night or in snow (when most of the country was struggling to cope with the weather, I was out learning to drive). Nothing too out of the ordinary happened on my lessons apart from having to call it quits at manoeuvres on one lesson because we couldn't find a road where we could actually see the kerb thanks to the amount of snow on the road. For my second test attempt I got the head examiner of the local test centre, someone everyone says "you dont want to get him, he's harsh as anything!". I think I passed when I waved to say thank-you to a HGV driver who'd let me out :)

I got my first car in March and honestly cant think of anything I do as I was taught already :confused: :D

Way back when all cars were still using carburetors the "driver training" was much less rigid in the state I took my test. One went to the DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles) at 15 years 6 months and picked up a "manual" and a learners permit. On the date of your 16th birthday you could take the written and driving test. In the rural area where I lived that meant driving around a block downtown where the DMV office was located.

One of my pet peeves is how little one has to know in order to drive here in the states. I am a big proponent of the Street Survival schools offered, http://www.streetsurvival.org/ and always make a donation to the cause from some of my sites profits.

I think every new driver should be required to attend a track day, with instruction before being allowed on the public roads. There really is no way to learn the dynamics of a vehicle at street limits. It's not the 99% of motoring around that kills, it's what happens when something unexpected happens that does. Knowing the limits of a vehicle and how to use them is the biggest lifesaver over all those new fangled electroinc aids.

Sometimes, it's difficult to keep up with how you guys in the UK do thing's. It really is. :confused:

When I first started driving, my father taught me how. Started in an Ford F150 stick-shift and passed my driving test without any professional driving lessons. I held my "Learners Permit" for 6 months before I was able to take the driving test.

When I started driving big trucks and needed my Class-A license, I spent 6 weeks in driving school for it. 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, and $10,000 in student loans later ... I have the best possible license in the States. Worth every penny, really.

I don't remember how many lessons I had, however I took lessons at a driving school (High schools don't all support driving classes now in CA), as well as lessons from my grandfather who was a defensive driving coach.

And the scariest experience was probably last summer when I was in a car accident. A high school student had been speeding on the street, clipped my front end and spun me out, while another car (A SUV that wasn't paying attention) slammed into the left side of the car, crushing that side. Luckily I was driving a RHD, otherwise I'd have died :D. I came out of that with a few fractured ribs, dislocated shoulder, and a lot of bruises and cuts, but fine for the most part. 

Top Bottom